Friday, August 4, 2017

What's been cooking: the new diet regimen

 My new portfolio breakfast: canister oats with craisins, brown sugar; coffee with half and half, organic sugar. Repeated daily.
 Lunches: taco bake lunch day 1
 and day 2
 leftovers: whole wheat pasta with homemade sauce, 1 meatball; leftover 3 bean salad



 Tues supper: Crock Pot home made a la Campbell's pork beans (used a bit of bacon in lieu of salt pork)
Pan fried, beef franks served with choice of condiments
 Wed's pasta night: homemade sauce out of 1 can of tomato puree, 1 med can of diced tomatoes with onion, garlic and herbs, sliced baby Portobello mushrooms, 1/2 of a shredded, organic zucchini, spices. I added homemade, fzn ground chicken-Italian chicken sausage meatballs. Kids got 3 each, I had 2.
 My 2 versions of pasta-whole wheat for 2 of us, rice pasta for DD
 New RX had meant some digestive issues. Cola to the rescue.
 My Wed night supper, with 3 bean salad
 Thurs was dinner for 2: pan fried beef burgers on potato roll or glutern free toast, herb and garlic seasoned oven roasted potaotes (doctored from canned potatoes also sprinkled with paprika), fzn mixed veg. I aim to have beans at both lunch and dinner if at all possible and to severely restrict animal proteins
 Avoiding food waste: unbearable heat and humidity (thankful for cental air!) has meant that my fresh peaches and nectarines were turning fast. I made what I am calling a "Summer stone fruit crumb topped pie" that used peaches, nectarines, and drained, canned apricots from the pantry.
 Delicious!
Planing ahead for weekend snacks and breakfast, I made a batch of blueberry muffins, turning to my favorite blueberry muffin recipe, but substituting unsweetened almond milk and stick margarine for milk and butter as I must reduce cholesterol from dairy. I compared the "cholesterol lowering" tub margarines and blanched at both the price as well as the ingredients. I spent 99 cents for store brand sticks instead.

7 comments:

Belinda said...

Everything looks great, Carol. Hopefully you'll be able to get your cholesterol lower, beans will definitely help with that.

Linda said...

Did you know Benefiber helps to lower cholesterol? I started using it, then when I could no longer use wheat, I had to quit using it. There is on with no flavor, slimy, or gritty taste. You can stir it in any liquid, even water without noticing it. All your meals look great.

CTMOM said...

Yes, it was suggested by my GP. Issue is that many, if not all, use artificial sugar substitutes, which I can no consume, per my nephrologist. I need to research it further, preferring to address this, if possible, thru food.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Oatmeal every day for breakfast and beans twice a day would--it seems to me--get quite boring after a while, and I even have a high tolerance for repetition. Good luck with your efforts.

VanessaKC said...

I committed myself to eating pulses at least 5x a week almost 2 years ago. Check out pulses.org, they have great recipes to help keep the integration fun and fresh. Black bean brownies, roasted garbanzos, etc. There are many wonderful ways to enjoy beans, lentils and split peas beyond the norm. Best of luck! ✌️

Carol Farley said...

If this helps, no sugar at all in Benefiber, just a wheat dextrin. No sodium, either so a pretty healthy addition if considered. Here is the web site: https://www.benefiber.com/fiber-supplement-products/powder?cid=ps-20150506-usbeneps2015fy-google-1brandcoreexact-benefiber-exactmatch-ps20150506_49539&rotation=71700000012687317&banner=58700000819934008&kw=8758296180&google=e_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI86vJi_HA1QIVAxppCh2QXwy6EAAYASAAEgKyxfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lee Ann said...

Coke helps my digestive issues too