Monday, August 21, 2017

Portfolio diet directive: replace meat with soy substitutes

 Tweaking a family recipe for a French Canadian style Sheppard's pie, turning to TVP flakes that I reconstituted with beef bouillion
I mixed it 50-50 with some lean ground beef that was sauteed with 1/2 of a medium onion. I also added a bit of salt, a generous amount of freshly cracked pepper as well as onion powder, the dregs of a bottle of Worcestershire sauce. A sample taste tells me that it should be ok, the texture is OK.




I will be baking off the dish in a while, serving it with some fresh, organic cherry tomatoes. This came out really good, slightly different, but that is to be expected.

Leftover chocolate-banana bread for dessert seekers.

4 comments:

Ms. Sandie said...

Is this something you would recommend we all try? Where did you get your TVP?

CT Bargain Mom said...

I must have missed something - what is portfolio diet? How was it with tvp? Ms Sandie, I've bought it at ShopRite....Bob's Red Mill. Brand. Added it to stretch ground beef in chili and tacos....

CTMOM said...

Sandie-the portfolio diet is a cholesterol lowering diet. Last RX sent my cholesterol levels up 50 points. Following this diet before repeating blood work in another month, annual physical at the beginning of Oct., hoping to avid needing a cholesterol lowering RX.

Meg B. said...

Then there are those of us who have to avoid soy. *sigh* TVP is a great stretcher for ground beef. People who might turn their noses up at it probably don't realize they've probably had it quite a bit.
I do love reading your cooking posts. We have to eat, so we may as well try to enjoy all aspects of meal preparation. You certainly seem to, and I try to as wl. (I still can't work up a fondness for unloading the dishwasher, though.)