Friday, July 21, 2017

Said goodbye to my general contractor

It's been difficult these past few months, as the GC pulled himself off of my job, taking on additional work, yet leaving me with unskilled, unsupervised workers whose quality is certainly questionable. I was exacting, I insisted that shoddy work be corrected. I have no issues with the GC's work, the finish workers that he left me with, however, are a totally different story. Bottom line is that the work was corrected to my satisfaction, I passed inspection on all 4 open permits, it was time to say goodbye once the GC returned on Thursday to correct one final error. His last check was handed to him. The original agreement was for all work to be completed May 30th. 7 weeks later . . .

Image:  http://www.simplyadditions.com/images/windows/diy-window-installation-guide.jpg

2 remaining extras that I pulled off of GC's billing was to have a new window installed in the laundry/half bath as well as to have a new patio door installed in the dining room. I simply wanted him done and gone. Another factor was that the quote he gave me for the 2 installations came to $1500-DX said, "No way are you paying him that!"

I got the name of a licensed and insured contractor through the energy audit company; he came today. His quote over the phone was matched after seeing the units to install, and where they are going. Price: $500. So yeah, GC's DONE.

My monies are once again getting low, as they do this time of the month, as I await my next pay on the 31st, when I will sit down and determine how to spend my monthly surplus. Meanwhile, I can review my list of repairs, and earmark priorities.

8 comments:

Linda said...

You have no issues with the gc's work, then you innumerate all the things he did not do that you have issue with. THAT is his job to provide you with proficient workers and to supervise them. So, all your issues are with GC. You could have hired workers off a corner to do the quality work you got. So, actually the GC just failed to do his job at some point, leaving you to do his job. Quit giving him a pass.

meme said...

I really dislike when workers charge way more than they should for work - taking advantage of people. I am glad you saved that thousand dollars.

CTMOM said...

Linda, to be clear: the GC's construction talents/work is fine. His workers, however, are of varying skill sets. It translated into delays, including a delay in his final payment until he corrected the shoddy work that was either rushed or incorrectly done. I am not giving him a pass, I pulled extras off of his work and limited his work to the original contract just to get it done and move on. We have.

Belinda said...

Good for you for not using the GC for his estimate of $1500 for the window and patio door. Glad you were able to get someone that is a licensed and insured contractor & recommended by the energy audit company to do it for $500 instead.

Out My window said...

We had the same problem with our kitchen remodel which is still not done. Talk about shoddy work. So frustrating and they start to take advantage. They charge more and more and do less and less.

Julie Vidani said...

I think sometimes contractors overestimate when they too want to be finished with a particular job or they have enough work already.

CTMOM said...

Out my window, the root of the issue was that our agreement was for $X to be paid once a week for a set number of weeks, and finally a "balloon payment" at the end, which was a bit over the normal, previous weekly checks. I held firm that I would not pay him until the work was done, as stipulated in the written agreement. Additionally, I wouldn't pay him until I passed the C.O. inspection. Should the inspector have an issue with something, I'd have no recourse. Just glad to see him leave. He's a nice guy, HIS work is good, I frankly take exception to his business practices. I know that I won't use him ever again. Too bad.

Linda said...

HIS work is not good because part of HIS work is the make sure the workers he sends do their jobs. YOU are doing part of his job. I do believe you that his building skills are top notch. However, he may not be paying enough to workers to get top-notch workers. Daddy was a contractor, but he went to houses after work to correct each thing his men did wrong. Then, he had a good strong talk about what they were doing wrong. He fired men and did not pay for work he had to redo. Consequently, Daddy worked until midnight after he worked all day. Mama would tell him who called and complained and he left without eating to correct the problems his men caused.

Daddy not only redid everything his men did wrong, the next day he would fuss and show them how to do what they did wrong. He told them he could not work until midnight and still pay them to ruin people's homes.