My exit packet arrived from my now former employer, with documents to return to them. Included is a breakdown of how much COBRA medical insurance through them would cost: it's more than my mortgage payment, so really not an option. It's supposedly only good for 18 months, and then I'd find myself in this same situation. I have 6 weeks to address my next insurance plan as well as to ensure that the kids are covered somehow. I've asked DX to look into putting the kids under his plan, he told me that open enrollment starts Aug 1, there will be someone at HR with info. I advised him, that due to losing coverage, effective 9/1, the kids would be able to do the paperwork now, effective for Sept. One DS plans on getting ins thru his employer. Another plans on getting it thru his school. This leaves DD who really is only eligible for one more year. With ongoing, preexisting issues, she must maintain coverage. Last DS, if placed under DX's plan, I would be able to get payment to DX to cover his share. I await more info.
Meanwhile, I am able to join a health plan thru a side gig, allowing me to not have to resort to ACA insurance,which would me 3 times as expensive, with a higher deductible and lousy coverage. I've reached out to 2 reps from the company and need to follow up with one more and get the paperwork sent to me for completion. Based upon my phone conversations, it looks like this is a go. There are 3 versions of their plan, I intend to go with the middle cost one. It has a "reasonable" deductible of $2500, with an OOP cap at $6600. From meeting the deductible, one has to pay a 30% copay until the cap is met. Then, the ins company would pay all costs. Regardless of my status, this company would cover at 100% well woman care, annual mammograms and annual GP physicals. It's BC/BS. e Only caveat is that if I go out of plan, they will not pay, unless it is a serious accident/life threatening scenario. Kicker is that the insurance plan year is Jan-Dec, so joining in at Sept, means having this $2500/$6600 scenario (probably won't meet) thru the end of this year, only to have it reset come Jan. I am used to a school year plan, so this is an adjustment. No worries, especially as previous, before high dedeuctibles were in vogue, I had a calendar year based plan.
Meanwhile, I am addressing any medical needs now, while I am still on my current plan. Annual mammogram and gyno appointment, physical for DS, eye appointment for DS, dental cleaning, etc.
I am also on top of RX refills, as my deductible is met so these are "freebies."
I'v stockpiled a bit, and hopefully will not have to refill many RX's with the exception of my next PSA RX.
My RX's keep getting played with, due to reactions. I have now officially failed the 4 drugs that the soon to be over insurance company insisted that I be on before they will "allow" me to be on the drug of choice, by 2 different MD's. Burns me to no end that insurance companies can control a patient's plan of care. I also took advantage of a B1G1 1/2 off or 25 % off both sale of the brand vitamins that I take. I wanted more, and they were out, so a raincheck was offered. I was told that their delivery comes in on Tuesdays. I was able to pay for these with some residual funds in my HSA thru this job/insurance company. I intend to use the rest towards a replacement lens for my glasses that got scratched.It's a new "year" for the vision rider of my plan so I can take advantage of a small rebate offered thru this rider.
Insurance is a necessary evil, luckily, as my finances currently are, I am able to absorb the cost of medical insurance premiums for myself. Meanwhile, I will be looking into setting up a HSA, if I am allowed to. Otherwise, I will establish a separate savings account and amass $6600, as that would be my maximum OOP obligation.