Friday, July 14, 2017

Another mechanical upgrade

Surplus monies from June (I get paid at the end of every month, then determine how to handle my monthly extra money) were earmarked for installation of a water treatment system (this one uses potassium instead of salt). This was a priority, not only to make cleaning easier (there has been a thin, white coating on some surfaces, notably the stainless steel kitchen sink) but to protect my investment in a LP on demand, hot water heater and my new appliances. I got 2 quotes, one from an installer who was recommended by my plumber. I went with the plumber's recommendation, saving $2700 by going with this guy as he was able to install a system that didn't require installing a dry well, instead taking advantage of a drainage system already in place. New CT law prohibits discharge from water treatment into a septic system, so first guy's solution was to tell me that I needed to have a dry well installed. I'll take the savings.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I have also looked into water treatment for our house (our water is acidic and hard) and the company told me all about the recent CT law enacted to prevent discharge of treated water into a septic system (the law is a good one; the sodium/potassium discharge eventually crumbles the concrete holding tank!).

I was aghast at the additional cost of a digging/installing a discharge well, and wondered if it wouldn't be overall cheaper to switch to public sewer.

So I called my town to talk about getting a scope done because the sewer hookup for my house is not on any town maps. I was told by a very knowledgeable town employee (who asked why I was switching to sewer) that a discharge well wasn't required, that there were far cheaper and easier methods to use for discharge.

Good grief! How would I have learned that if I hadn't called the town? I looked up the law online, but it did not speak to approved methods of discharge.

Just one of the many, many pitfalls of home ownership. It ain't for the faint of heart!

CTMOM said...

Sue-irks me that contractors think that people, esp. female, are idiots and don't know anything and/or aren't resourceful enough to do some digging, ask questions aka "do homework" on a home related issue. @@ While I liked the first guy I got a quote from, and he is right about the new, no discharge into a septic law, he didn't suggest any alternatives to a drywell, which cost even more than the system itself. I asked the plumber if he knew anyone, and he immediately referred me to guy #2, who also knew about the new no septic discharge law, but is knowledgeable enough to know that there are other ways to discharge on the property, that won't violate the new code. Yes, he also mentioned that different towns will tell you different things but there is no clear directive as to where one is to discharge then. Luckily, I got the second opinion, and he came out and installed it for just over $1800 (other guy wanted $2200 for his system and then I had to pay someone else (he doesn't do excavation work) to do the drywell for another $2500. Um . . no, this is a much better solution for me. Lesson here is to do your own research, ask questions and if someone tries to sell you a package of goods, find someone else. I am going through a similar process regarding adding insulation to the attic.