Blog on saving money and living on a budget in CT.
Thursday, June 15, 2017
My mending schedule remains on Wednesdays. With the recent move, and continuing to go through possessions and putting them away, more worn items needing repair come to light. Here's a vintage, Vera linen napkin that needed some attention
and another that also needed some hand sewing. Not perfect, but this extends the life of these items.
I noted a worn, perhaps moth eaten? tear on the neck of a wool sweater.
I few minutes of hand sewing, and one can't tell that there was a tear.
A freshly mended, vintage kitchen towel.I actually had a teal-soft green thread that matched beautifully so I used that for the top spool on my machine.
But I opted for whatever random bobbin was in there. Doesn't show, and I can use up oddball colors this way.
Camera is showing these very dirty and faded, but these old thinsulate gloves only needed a split seam to be repaired.
I hand sewed this glove, and returned it to the bin in the hall closet.
A terribly ripe and torn, bottom flannel sheet was sacrificed for a new batch of flannel rags. Once again, oddball colors of inherited thread were called into service to make the edge seams on these. Also pictured is a kitchen sink cloth (terry) that needed a frayed edge turned under and sewn.
Yet more towels of all sorts were repaired.
The sweater dryer on one of my ancient drying racks had seen better days. I removed it, cut off the straps to the mesh and tossed them.
I saved the mesh, to make a future produce bag.
Chilly weather called for a midweight night gown, but I discovered 2 small holes in the knit fabric.
Another quick hand sewing repair
An oldie but goodie, 3/4 sleeved cardigan with holes at the sewn in label: I hand sewed the holes shut, using pink thread.
Looks pretty good
I also noted that I had lost the top button. I found a close enough, pink button in my stash
I removed the bottom button from the sweater and reattached it at the neck where the other was missing, figuring it would be more noticable to have a different button at the neck vs at the bottom on the sweater.
I then added the new button to the bottom of the sweater, which I have already worn several times since working on it.
DS's beloved Monkey jammie pants: the areas where I had previously mended holes in the knit fabric were fine, the surrounding fabric was now biting the dust! Luckily, DD had just given me a black T to cut into rags, so I fashioned a patch out of it and appliqued it on top, over the weak area.