Monday, June 19, 2017

Household furnishings

As much as possible, once I determine that I need to acquire some household furnishings, I turn to the second hand market. Most recent need is of a long sideboard/credenza for the dining room. My specifications were:

-the sideboard could be used as a server for Sunday suppers, with me laying multiple serving dishes out for a help yourself buffet style
-must be all wood, no particle board
-4 doors
-if there were any drawers, they must be dovetailed

I tried my usual sources and couldn't find what I want. Pieces offered up for sale were really beat up, scream 1970's Mediteranean, often too formal, usually hutches, many were huge pieces.

Today, I received a discount for buying a home voucher through Wayfair, a site I had never used before. After loading the search engine with criteria, I found several in the $2000 range, but then this one:

Originally $1901.10, it was on clearance and after using my promo voucher, including free shipping, I paid $737.99. It should go very nicely with my $129 Pennsylvania House, brown oak dining set.

Looking forward to getting my China and crystal out of boxes in the entry closet and properly stored away, thereby allowing space in the aforementioned closet to store the vacuum, currently residing in a corner in the dining room.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I have just what you need for a whole lot less, but AL is a long way from CT. Maybe not, as it is ornate and an antique, almost 7' long, all wood and dovetail drawers. It's actually a dresser but I used it in the dining room and for storage of napkins and such. I like your selection.

Do you have consignment shops for furniture where you live? The ones here are nice but expensive, at least so far.

Belinda said...

That is beautiful, Carol. And a very good price for a fine piece of furniture. Great deal!

CTMOM said...

Linda, I tried the Facebook local tag sale sites, the county FB site for expensive "consignment" furniture, Habitat, etc. Simply a no go.

Debbie said...

That is really pretty! I know you will enjoy it for years to come. :)

a5605770-c072-11e4-a821-431d81bf84dd said...

I've bought several items from Wayfair and have been pleased with all of them, especially the cabinet I bought which came fully assembled and delivered right to my living room!

Ms. Sandie said...

We have been very happy with several large items we have purchased from Wayfair in the last year

Juhli said...

Great find! We are happy with the TV/media cabinet we bought from Mayfair after our recent move.