Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Grocery shopping for the deals

 I did a quick Aldi's run Sunday morning as I needed hamburger buns and wanted chocolate for S'mores (Dollar Tree sells a bar of chocolate from Poland that is very good but they were out). I grabbed a few extras: fig bars, hazelnut coffee and 2 pks popcorn (cheapest source and they don't always carry it)
 Dollar tree: 24 oz boxes of elbow macaroni (I was almost out) 2 cards, cheese puffs, felt pads for under furniture, Lifesaver gummies, triple antibiotic cream, grahams, pickle relish, apple sauce from Poland, peroxide for laundry, 8 oz tubes Crest Pro health sensitive toothpaste (we were on our last tube and this is normally $$$ at the grocery store), flour tortillas, marshmallows.
 Then heading back home, but first stopping off at the Stop and Shop nearby. With coupons and combining with sale promos I bought: scoops tortillas $1.99, 100 count tea bags $2.49, 2 types of fancier hamburger buns (frozen now) @ $1.89, 10 lbs Russet potatoes, 2 bottles juicy juice @ $2, 1 jar red pepper relish (paid full price for that). Not pictured: Hellmann's mayo @$1.99, 12 coutn  Snapple @ $4.99, 2 pouches Knorr rice mixes @ 49 cents,large can Vallery Fresh chicken breast @ $1,10, can of folgers coffee @$1.99, 15 oz suave body wash @$0.49-I dilute this for hand soap at the sinks.
 Crash n burn, the cereal addition:  normally, Aldi's is my source for cereal. Whenever I am at S & S, I naturally check out the crash n burn section and scored some awesome deals on cereal. Some are discontinued items, so in pristine boxes, while others have boxes that are a bit damaged. Food inside, however, is perfectly fine!
 LOVE these prices, especially for the Kashi.
 This store also marks down dairy items (never have seen milk or cream marked down, however. Perhaps CT has a law against it?). DS was just saying the other day that he'd like lasagna some time soon. I scored 2 large tubs of Polly-O ricotta @ $3.64 and a 24 ct pkg of Kraft singles @ $2,39(great for burgers and grilled cheese) at 50% off. The ricotta was near date, the cheese's outer package was torn then resealed with tape such as from being damaged by a box cutter.
 More crash n burn: Italian vinaigrette with no HFCS-one of the many ingredients we have to avoid for DD. I normally make my own dressings, but at $1.24 for a large bottle, this was a good deal. I also got apricots @ 79 cents, cannellini beans 69 cents, 3 cans of prepared pasta @ $49 (great for a quick meal when we come in, have to eat and then turn right around and leave again aka an emergency lunch), large can of diced tomatoes @ 49 cents, can of tomato sauce @ 19 cents, box of cocoa packets @ 79 cents.
 More sales plus coupon deals: onion dip (out the door @ 49 cents), yogurt $2.99, sour cream $1.74, lemonade, probiotic juice (even after sale plus cpn, it was pricey. I called this a treat)
A small pkg of kielbasa (store loss leader cpn) @ $1.99, 2 pkgs marked down Italian chicken sausage.  I spent $72.12, which included $4.21 off as well for Ds's "employee discount."

5 comments:

slugmama said...

Nice buys especially the Kashi stuff which is always pricey.

Belinda said...

That is a GREAT price for the Crest pro-health toothpaste. It is very $$$ at the regular store, great find. Some great deals you found, especially the cereal.

CTMOM said...

Sluggy-I love shredded wheat and have been really lucky at my new, local store to find Organic Kashi in crash n burn. Awesome!

CTMOM said...

Belinda, I had one tube as a reserve on the shelf. When I spied Crest Pro in a larger tube at Dollar Tree, I grabbed 4! Beyond fabulous price.

Busy Bee said...

Great finds!
I'm trying to plan on eating down stores in July. We'll see what the month holds.