Sunday, June 25, 2017

An odd check

I received this yesterday. My initial reaction was that it was a refund from paint . . I was wrong. Instead, it was a check from Wells Fargo in CA, with my former landlord's name and address on it, in the amount of one month's rent. No letter, no memo was enclosed.

I reached out to the LL, first emailing and then following up with a text to "please see email sent."  I stated the above and added that my security deposit was for 2 month's rent, please advise.

She promptly responded that a second check in the amount of $X (just $5 off-an error I believe) was to be sent.

CT state laws stipulates that tenant security deposits are to be held in escrow in a CT bank and earn interest (paltry to be sure). Should any deductions be made by the LL, they are to be outlined in writing to the tenant and all monies to be returned within 30 days of the tenant vacating the property.

I followed the lease to a T. Her reply makes me believe (outside the $5 suspected clerical error) that the full security deposit is going to be returned.

Bottom line for me is that I get my monies back. I have them earmarked to pay off the GC once he's done with finish work and to get a water treatment system installed.

Anyone have experience with this kind of a check? I suspect it came from a CC, if that is possible,

8 comments:

Patti said...

I usually get these when some one has Bill Pay through their bank. Glad your getting all your deposit back, you do so much work that you deserve it.

Belinda said...

I hope your second check is there soon, Carol.

Linda said...

I have never rented anywhere since the duplex in 1965. It's all Greek to me.

Patti said...

I believe it is bill pay. Some people use a bank check writing service instead of writing their own checks.

Busy Bee said...

I have received one. I simply deposited it into my account. I'm careful to wait until it has cleared before I write it out....just because it seems such an odd way of doing things to me.

Ms. Sandie said...

It looks like a bill pay from someone's bank. We get these often for the business. Envelope looks exactly the same

Jean said...

In Minn the LL has 21 days to return your security deposit after turning in the keys or the tenant can take them to court and get up to double the security deposit and interest. When the deposit got "lost in the mail" in January I sent a demand letter and the full deposit was sent to me via certified mail. At least then both the LL and I know the check arrived

CTMOM said...

Jean, 30 days here in CT, and like in MN, I can get double the deposit if the LL doesn't comply. Thought it very odd that only 1/2 the amount was sent. Further communication from LL advised me that a second check is coming. The law in CT is clear: the deposit is not to be used by the LL, it remains in an escrow account earning interest. I don't like to make assumptions, but it appears* that the LL is moving monies around, paying from 2 accounts. I can't explain why, otherwise, she didn't just reimburse me the full amount, which a follow up text advised me of.Should any deductions be taken (texts back/forth indicate that there are none), they are to be explained in writing, with the refund check. Note, I didn't say checkS.