Sunday, May 21, 2017

This has been floor week

 From before I even bought the home, this past week was set aside for wooden floor guy. The actual wooden floor in the kitchen (new flooring) was installed last week, and the initial rough sanding started early. The initially overly bright green paint in the kitchen is softening, for lack of a better term. I am not the only observer to note this. As I'd rather not spend another $70 at this point to repaint, we'll live with it, which again is developing a much softer tone. Kitchen cabinets were reinstalled (bottoms only were taken out for the flooring), with some repairs done to the cabinets in the process: new plywood floor in the sink base cabinet, new plywood side panel against the dishwasher (there never was one).
 Here is the finished, red oak floor of the kitchen with my new gas range.
 Entry way floor
 Hallway floor, with photo showing singular, wide step up from living room, as well as cedar lined closet of entry.
 Living room floor
 DD's floor (my and DS#2's bedroom floors came out equally as nice). Had I chosen to replace all of the existing wood in addition to adding wood to the kitchen, I would have paid $8900 more. Refinishing was certainly a smart move on my part.
Black and white tile floor of the laundry/half bath was installed. It is now grouted, the room painted a bright Kelly green,which I expected to be bright, compared to the kitchen.

Electrician returned this week, replacing the taped over, cracked push button garage door opener on the wall of the garage (see above),  installing fixtures (light kits for ceiling of kitchen)
5 ceiling fans), outlet/switch covers, labeling the electric panel, creating a smooth, stainless steel exhaust tube for the dryer (hate those slinky, foil based ones-nothing but fire traps!). He has more to do, and even returned on Sat. He told me to call him when the medicine chests are in, and he will reinstall the existing light fixtures over the sink and address some msc such as switch out the garage light with one that has a motion sensor.

The contractor had access to the home on Monday morning until 12 noon, then was kicked off the job until Friday as every day earlier in the week meant a different coat was going down on the floors (I went with a natural stain and had 3 coats of polyurethane put down to protect it). Contractor had pulled himself off of the job a few times in prior weeks, and was behind, so I was pleased when he offered to work Saturday (yesterday) and had been working on my bathroom tile while his assistant is painting and working on trim.


The rest of the appliances were delivered: washer, dryer and fridge.

Glass guy was out, is repairing the cellar windows: replacing broken glass, reputtying all of the castiron frames. He returns Mon evening after work to install a custom storm panel I had him make for over the large, wide side light of the front door. What the former owner had made was the wrong glass, poorly installed, installed on the INSIDE of all things . . like everything else I saw/see that he touched, it's being redone RIGHT.

11 comments:

Belinda said...

The floors look great and I love the floor in the laundry/half bath. I've always like black and white like that.

CTMOM said...

I need to take and post updated laundry room photos. One of the reasons that I went with this particular contractor is that he specializes in tile work. I've been happy for the most part with his work (had him redo a few things) just wish he put in longer days to get it done! We are now in crunch time, the plumber returns Tuesday morning, so tomorrow will be getting everything done for the plumber.

NAN said...

Oh Carol- it looks so nice! I'm jealous but you deserve it. You're frugal and great planner. That should be your job- getting things done!

Florence said...

The floors look great! I am planning to rip out all the carpet and having hardwood put in. Your photos confirm my decision.

CTMOM said...

Thank you, Nan. I've worked hard to achieve this goal.

CTMOM said...

Florence, I personally hate carpets, and they are discouraged to us, due to allergies. We once had carpet installed in a brand new construction bedroom. Vacuumed minimally 2 times/week. Never wore shoes in there. Fast forward, we ripped it out to install wood (ended up that wood was about the same cost for this smaller room) and were disgusted by the powdery mess below the carpet. I swore-never again. Rentals meant some carpet, but I've tried to find places that had mostly wooden floors.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Your floors are lovely!

laura sampson said...

I'm wondering if your couldn't lightly sponge another color over the green to further soften it? Like a color from the misstint section?

janie said...

Your floors look great. So nice!! So excited for you.

:) Enjoy, Janie

Linda said...

Everything is looking wonderful!

Ms. Sandie said...

It all looks great!!