Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Mending

 While my life of late has been centered around the home remodeling project, there are still daily/weekly tasks that must be tended to, including addressing some mending. My camera flash is really bleaching out the colors, but this olive T had some small holes in front. I sewed them shut using some circa 1960's gifted olive thread.
 Here's the front, hard to tell where the mending was.
 DD had a pair of well loved, dark black legging that sprung some holes in a not good location. Again the repair is done on the inside.
I used a vintage, wooden darning tool to complete my work. Feels good to get these items tended to, before the holes are worse, and get the pieces back into rotation.

2 comments:

Linda said...


After I do mends, I use Fray Chek to keep the mend tight and so it will not fray again. Sometimes knits can continue their way since we try not to make a mend that shows. However, test the Fray Chek to see if it shows. It never has on my clothes. BUT, yesterday I mended on exbf's pants and it shows....ack. I don't know how to tell him this.

mikemax said...

Mighty fine mending job, Carol! I am not so good with handwork. However, I mend tiny holes in cotton knits, like T-shirts, by cutting a small piece of dryer sheet (you could use interfacing) and putting it behind the hole, then machine darning from the top side. This keeps the knit from bunching up. It only takes a few stitches to catch (I usually use my 3-step zigzag) and it only shows if you know where to look for it. (Most mending is that way). I use an old lightbulb to darn socks. I'm not very good at that, either, but I only wear wool socks, so they are always worth saving.