Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Garage door maintenance?


Image: http://www.afir2011.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/242x239xsan-antonio-garage-door-maintenance.jpg.pagespeed.ic.CzDelizhgw.jpg




One thing that is clear about the former owner to the new to me home, is that he did NOT believe in any form of routine maintenance, preferring to call on an emergent basis. I am the opposite, preferring to perform routine maintenance on my home's mechanicals, for instance.

I discovered that the large push button garage door opener on the wall that is pushed to open the garage door as one exits the home, is in very rough shape, cracked, packing tapped over etc. I decided to replace it, along with buying a second garage door car "clicker" for DD's car.

I believe I previously posted on finding a garage door place here in the city, whose prices for what I need are almost in half vs the similar company one town over, who never called me about the order coming in BTW. They also charge $90 for a service call, which seemed steep.

I have ordered the aforementioned parts, and will pick them up Th. The woman I was working with told me that they also do maintenance checks and suggested doing it annually. I never had a garage door opener, until 2013 at a former rental. We did have an issue with it, the landlord paid to get it fixed.

So . . do people commonly have an annual garage door maintenance call? They will check all of the cables, springs, the opener etc, grease whatever is needed, and do ?  Is this necessary?

Thoughts?

14 comments:

ct legal eagle said...

I have never had a maintenance contract for my garages...

Juhli said...

I'm interested in the answer to this too as we have an automatic door opener for the first time in 20 years and we have found some delayed or poor maintenance in our new home too.

Florence said...

I have never had routine maintenance on ours.

slugmama said...

We moved here in 2000 and this is the first garage/garage door with opener we've had. It was original to the house, built in mid 1980's. In 2010 we had a spring go and replaced that and the motor to the opener. These things generally don't need reg. service/maintenance. Just replace/repair when needed. We've now got a sticker with the guys who did our service/repair on the wall next to the button so we are good to go. ;-)

Cheryl said...

My husband checks ours and greases it, etc...however..I did want to let everyone know that if you ever replace your unit...sell your parts, clickers, etc. on eBay...for some reason they bring in a tidy sum! We replaced our 25+ year old unit a few years ago and I sold most of the parts and pretty much paid for a new one!

Kelly Campbell said...

I never have and I know my parents never did either.

Sue said...

I'm pretty rigorous about maintaining heating/cooling mechanicals and our generator. But I've never heard of a maintenance contract for garage doors. I'd read the manual and see what the manufacturer recommends--if you can do it yourself, then by all means save yourself the money.
Sue

Kathy said...

I have never heard of that before. We have regular maintenance on our heat pump and things like that, but I wouldn't think a garage door would be necessary.

Toni in TN said...

Never had one on ours and truthfully never heard of it. Hubby does grease the tracks and checks everything regularly. If you have a handy man he could do this on a routine basis when checking other things.

NAN said...

I've been in my house 20 years- original garage door opener and never maintenance! I've had garage door openers for 10 years before this one-same thing; never a problem. I occasionally change the light bulbs.

mikemax said...

I've never heard of routine maintenance for garage doors and openers. I've had openers for 28 years. We have two garage doors in this house and no problems in nearly 20 years of use. I have hit the tracks with WD-40 a time or two, which reminds me that one of the doors squeaks and needs doing again. I agree with having a handyman take a look when you hire him for something else. Also, if you have a keypad on the outside, the batteries will need replacing every few years.

Ms. Sandie said...

We just personally take care of any minor problems we've noticed. We've never had a maintenance check on our automatic door

Dirt Road Primitives said...

We've lived in our home 7 years, just a few months ago I had a door company come out do some adjustments, grease...etc.....worth every $100 it cost....our door was loose air got through ion the sides , heavy winds made it rattle........it's all new now.......well worth it......

Busy Bee said...

We don't have anyone do maintenance on ours either.