Sunday, April 23, 2017

Working on the outside, aka "gardening"

 I was able to dig some free to me daffodils and Irises from someone from my former town, who is removing a bed in her yard. I've planted them in the planters seen above, to the left.

 I have been watching prices for annuals, hoping to add a pop of color on the cheap for the front steps, to fill my 4 planters. $5.99 for 6 single pansies is not what I wish to pay. So, I decided to pot up some herbs instead. I have lavender (my absolute favorite!) in the green urn and regular and purple basil in the brown one below it.

Here, to the right of the door, I again have lavender, but the herbs in the brown pot are lemon balm (for iced tea and if I have enough later, to dry for Winter teas) and sage (will dry for use in Winter, too). This seemed like the best, more practical option for me. I did spend $3.78/plant but they are non GMO, potted in a decomposing peat pot. This compromise works for me.

I still have this large bed to populate. I am hoping for some free if not cheap shrubs to do so.

9 comments:

Barbara Gantt said...

Sage planted in the ground will come back for a few years. It will also keep growing until a really hard freeze. I have harveted sage up til Thanksgiving here in Vermont. Good choice of herbs. Saves a lot of money and adds a lot of flavor.

meme said...

the outside looks so nice, neat and clean! the front area is going to be so pretty.

CTMOM said...

Barbara-I hope to have a proper herb garden, so my choices were for perennials, other than the basil.

Ellie said...

I have had great luck with the perennial plants I have purchased from the clearance plant section at Lowe's and Home Depot. Knockout roses (which bloom twice in my zone) for $10 instead of $20. They just need a little TLC.
This year, I found some marigolds for $1 a "six-pack" and some snap dragons for $.50 As long as you plant them right away, and dead head them, they do well.
I hope you have a store near by where you can find some plant bargains. :)
- Ellie

Linda said...

Try a few flower seeds. Seeds at WM are $0.20 pack. They will fill a need. It will be slower than buying flowers, but you have time.

mikemax said...

Carol, you are in too big of a hurry to buy your annuals. By mid-May, they will be available in 6 packs and there will be big sales over Memorial Day weekend. If you plant annuals much before then (except for pansies) you will probably lose them to frost.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

My sage is now a woody shrub--I'm sure I've had it close to 20 years, if not longer. It is slightly protected by being right next to the stone basement, but otherwise it just survives.

Ms. Sandie said...

Nice garden changes.

young77 said...

Carol, I don't recall if you've ever belonged to the Buy Nothing Project but you might want to check and see if there is a Group in your new community. https://buynothingproject A great way to get just about anything free including plants, etc. Shirley, WA State