Wednesday, April 5, 2017

What's been cooking?

 Tuesday: I took a lb pkg of marked down ground beef and transformed it into 4 good sized, Salisbury steaks in an onion/mushroom gravy, using a can of French onion soup, thickened with a corn starch slurry to form the gravy. Canned no salt corn, and fresh mashed potatoes completed the meal. Pure comfort food.
Today finds the Crock Pot going, making a batch of chicken Italian sausage crumbles infused marinara to top pasta that will be baked off with some mozzarella, using one of the blocks of cheese from the freezer. Traditional and GF pastas will be called into service.

6 comments:

Belinda said...

Looks delicious, Carol. :)

Lili said...

That all looks delicious. Was your DD able to eat the Salisbury steak meal, with the gravy? It reminded me of TV dinners from when I was a little girl. When my dad had to be out of town, my mom would let us have those every once in a while.

CTMOM said...

You are to cirrect, my DD can not eat onions or mushrooms. Bummer, the gravy was the best part!

mikemax said...

Sheila sent me this link to a Salisbury steak recipe made in the Crock Pot, and I made it tonight. Delicious! Since there are only 3 of us, I cut the recipe in half (except for the brown gravy packet). http://www.spendwithpennies.com/slow-cooker-salisbury-steak/

Linda said...

CTMom,
What do onions and mushrooms do to her? That all looks so good. I cannot have the beef, but can sub pork for beef. Cannot eat wheat and hate rice flour. I like rice but the flour is too gritty.

CTMOM said...

Linda-DD has IBS D and follows a FODMAP food trigger restriction diet: https://www.reference.com/health/low-fodmap-diet-f21e22b513320f86?qo=cdpArticles#