Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Remodeling creates even more expenditure

The more I look at things, and the more that existing construction is opened up, new repairs/upgrades are presented.

I've made arrangements for a local glass company to come out and see if the 2 (or more?) basement windows can be repaired vs replaced. They have cracked or broken glass such as would happen if a mower kicked up a rock.
Image: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7HGFdOCZTAM/mqdefault.jpg


I had an energy contractor come out and give me a quote to have foam insulation sprayed in the entry, living room wall that butts up against the unheated garage, and the dining room's exterior wall around the sliders that I will be replacing as they are pretty crappy, and will not lock. @@

Image: https://www.casey-energy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/heating-tune-up.jpg

I had the energy company, who will supply my oil, propane as well as service my oil furnace, propane water heater on demand, propane generator, central A/C unit to inspect the equipment on hand. I've set up all of my accounts with them and they will be my "energy supplier" all under one roof. Locally run, family business with 24 hour on call repair. Works well for me.

Along with things noted in the house inspection report, there will be upcoming upgrades/replacements needed on the water system, the oil tank is nearing the end of it's life, etc. Knowing what I am facing, I am planning on addressing these items as well, at some point soon.



I've formally applied for my line of credit at my local bank, which also holds my mortgage, to keep my cash flow going. I have projected costs and anticipated how long it will take me to recoup, not even figuring the added income from a job I must get this Summer (with benefits).

3 comments:

Jodi Newman said...

I am always surprised when you talk about your oil heaters. We had one growing up. No one else I knew had oil heating so I always considered it not the norm. Is there a lot of oil heating in CT? Can you switch it out for a propane heating when it goes? Just curious, nothing other than that.

Your place is going to be perfect for you when done!
Congrats!
Jodi-in-ID

CTMOM said...

Jodi, the bulk of home heating oil is sold in New England. Ideally, I'd convert the home to natural gas, a line doesn't exist in this area of the city. I suppose I could convert to LP for the furnace, hadn't considered it, the furnace isn't that old. I will need to have the oil tank replaced (it's original to the home) and the buried into the concrete slab floor, oil line redone. Those are known upgrades that await me.

Jodi Newman said...

Sorry, didn't read your post correctly. I thought you said the
furnace not the tank. :-)

Thanks for the info!