Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Getting ready


This morning found me just meeting the contractor, who brought over a subcontractor for the drywall, to work up a quote.  I also had to be there to accept delivery of my new KitchenAid dish washer, and GE gas range, and GE over the range microwave with external exhaust and stove top light. They hauled away the broken D/W and microwave. I recently sold off the electric range for $75.
Image: https://energyathaas.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/img_3671.jpg

I noted that the basement was pretty dark, especially when considering that the original owner had some sort of homemade security station down there, and lights that were constantly on all around the perimeter of the home. Many of the ceiling lights of the unfinished basement have fixtures like the one pictured. Missing or burnt out bulbs were the reason for the darkness, as it's a pretty large basement, IMO. I had brought over my small boxes (used for storage) of LED bulbs and another of mixed CFL/regular now outmoded bulbs to the new house. I used many of the CFLs and 2 old style, incandescent bulbs to replenish the lights. The cellar now beams with light. Interesting note is that when one descends to the cellar, there is a landing built into the staircase, and one can turn either right towards the newly installed, steel, insulated door that closes off the hatchway or to the left, towards the mechanical section of the basement, where the electric water heater, furnace, oil tank, water tank etc reside. There are 2 light switches in this area, one for each "side" of the basement. I noted when I shut off the lights upstairs, that one basement light remained on. I returned down cellar and discovered that you have to use a small pull chain to shut that one off. I left a note for the electrician to look into it. The lights should be all simultaneous. Odd-but that's seems to be par for the course here, along with wires just attached together with electrical tape. The owner sure did some very unsafe practices, but they were identified, I knew what I would be getting into.

End result: a totally refurbished home, with all updated mechanicals, so no worries.

The other day, when the energy guy was out, I asked for a ballpark figure on reinsulating the attic, which I know is underinsulated. $3600 plus tax BUT, if I do an energy audit through the state (already have one for June 1) and subsequently do the attic insulation, the $124 audit fee will be returned to me AND the state will reimburse me $1800. NICE!

I've priced out a replacement refrigerator as well as a Speed Queen washer/dryer. Both are on promotion at the local appliance store until the end of the month, by which time, my LOC will be available. Alot of dings in the now 6 year old fridge, and a lot of cracked plastic on the inside. I assume that the wheelchair and walker limited owner often banged into things. I have bought replacement plastic fridge parts in the past-simply exhorbitant in cost. Better thing is to buy new.  I'd then most likely sell of the existing washer, dryer and fridge to recoup some of my investment.

12 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow, I didn't know you were replacing all the appliances too. Hope you will soon be able to enjoy your new home.

CTMOM said...

The seller have me a $650 credit for a broken dishwasher. Microwave was questionable due to crack on lower edge of door. Range I wanted to move to 'll gas, 500 gallon propane tank already on property for instant on generator. Fridge is banged up, so priced that out. Washer and dryer are from the 90's and I am concerned that capacity of washer is smaller. With a well and septic, the less water used, the better. They seem to work, washer needs a cleaning, the former owner was far from fastidious. Ditto the former single make tenant here at the condo. A guy thing?

Sue said...

Can I ask where you got the info for the energy audit? I am here in CT as well (Hartford area).

My own attic needs more insulating, and if I could get the audit paid for, plus get a kickback to help cover some of my costs, that would be awesome! How do you learn about such programs?

thanks, Sue

Meg B. said...

Not sure about Connecticut, but in my state, there are A LOT of subsidized programs which give you rebates when you replace appliances with approved, more energy efficient models. We received a nice check when we had to replace our central heating system.

Linda said...

You could put the extra refrigerator in the basement, maybe.Do you know if propane tank and connections are in good repair. My ex insisted the appliances be in place before dust jobs in remodeling kitchen before we moved in. Consequently, there was dust in places in appliances you would not believe. The oven had a little glass covered window and the fine dust was there for 20 years. You are working quickly to get all this done.

mikemax said...

Carol, I would seriously consider keeping the washer & dryer until they croak. The older ones were built so much better than the new ones. You might get YEARS of use from them. I got my Maytag washer in 1989 and it has never had a repair (knock on wood). Also, have you checked Consumer Reports on the appliances that interest you? I always do this before buying. My Kenmore kitchen appliances are all nearly 20 years old and were CR Best Buys at the time. So were the Hotpoint gas range and Maytag refrigerator we have at our vacation home. The information I always check first is the frequency of repair records.

CTMOM said...

Sue, as long as you are an Eversource customer (either gas/electric), you can take advantage of Energize CT. https://www.eversource.com/Content/ct-c/residential The first step is to sign up for an energy audit @ $124 unless you are income eligible for a discounted/free audit, I am not, so don't know if they still offer this. An approved contractor will come to your home for 4 hours and do a complete test. There is a video on eversource that reviews it. A written test should be mailed/emailed to you. If, for example, one of the recommendations is insulation, the contractor who performed the audit would be able to provide a list of approved energy contractors who you can select from to do the work. Yes, you have to pay up front, but if you get the audit before Aug 1, the audit costs will be refunded ($124 to me), and they will pay back to you $1/sq foot towards cost, up to 1/2 the cost of the project. I would save $1800 to redo the attic. I will probably use Good Life: http://goodlifeenergysavers.com/connecticut-service-area/ who are on the approved list, a friend also used them recently. They also offer low cost loans.

CTMOM said...

Meg-no longer have appliance rebates thru CT, which is currently in a fiscal mess. : ( Lots of program cuts.

CTMOM said...

Linda, appliances remain boxed in the garage until the sheet rock and floor sanding is done. Yes, the propane connections are fine. Newer generator installation.

CTMOM said...

Max, yes, I research appliances. From what we can gather, the former owner didn't take care of anything, until it broke, was possibly a hoarder, certainly didn't keep the place very clean or believe in routine maintenance. The washer is from 95 if I recall correctly, and needs to be cleaned-it's splashed all over with laundry product. @@ I am concerned that the capacity is smaller than I am used to. Returning to a well/septic fed home, low water use is essential. Should I decide to bite the bullet and get a new washer/dryer, it will be a Speed Queen set. $$ but an investment in this case.

Sue said...

Thank you SO MUCH for the pointers, Carol! We are indeed an Eversource customer. However, when I went looking through the page you linked, I found the following statement that incentives expired December 2016. Or is that referring to a different set of incentives?



Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Tax Credits

Did you know you might be able to take advantage of federal income tax incentives for energy-efficient and renewable energy home improvements? Congress first passed the incentives in 2005 as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and has amended them several times since then.

Current incentives expire December 31, 2016. The incentives fall into two categories. Be sure to review both to maximize your incentive.

CTMOM said...

Sue, yes federal programs ended 2016. If you use an approved c.t. contractor, c.f. will refund half the cost. I suggest an energy audit and get a quote from an approved contractor who can give you specifics