Sunday, April 9, 2017

Been super busy!

 Bought my home on Thursday, and continue to line up various services/work. This weekend is targeted as "demo weekend". First up Fri night after DX's work, was to remove appliances. He put in a few extra hours, more than he anticipated, in order to make the rest of the weekend go smoother. Pictured above is the demo'd laundry room which will be converted into a laundry/half bath off of the kitchen. Lots of sub par, and unpermitted work removed or will be removed by the appropriate, licensed tradesman. Bringing mechanicals up to code, and safety, is my objective. I am hoping to be able to reuse the existing Whirlpool washer/dryer but have priced out a Speed Queen set, which would be my replacement. They have a rebate good until the end of April.
 Demo for this room is complete, other than the window, which will be replaced by the contractor. Pictured is where the unvented @@ scrub sink was. It will be replaced by a toilet with a pedestal sink near the window.
 The lower cabinets were removed so as to be able to install a red oak (to match existing wood floors throughout the home) floor in the entire kitchen, knowing that I intend to remodel the kitchen within 5 years. Again, improperly, unpermitted and frankly dangerous plumbing and electrical issues, which we already knew about. Also found evidence of mice (I'll spare you from the details). I strongly suspect that they enter thru the hatchway, which doesn't have a basement door, instead there are steps that go up to the metal doors. This would make the cellar really cold come Winter. I am having a 3 foot, insulated door installed. An upcoming energy audit will also include some caulking work.
The 2 car garage is now  my storage bay. I am reusing the bulk of the kitchen (cabinets, counter, Kohler SS sink and faucet, GE fridge.  I listed the GE electric stove (looked the serial number up on line, it appears to be a 2011 model) on a Facebook tag sale site for $75. Several bites, including a woman who was to pick it up last night, she reached out to me that the guy with the truck had an emergency, but could she get it today? I told her sure, let me know when. An extra $75 in my pocket is welcomed, as I just paid for my GE gas range, GE over the range microwave, and Kitchenaid dishwasher. Home Depot has sale promos at the moment, so after selecting which models I want, I wrote down the info and headed over to a local, family run,  appliance store to see if they can meet/beat HD's price out the door. They were able to beat HD. New appliances are to be delivered Wed,and they will take away my old ones, including the old electric range, should it not sell.

All of the quarter round baseboard trim has been removed to the dumpster on site as well, in order to allow the floor refinisher to get up close to the base board for sanding and refinishing. The removal of the wall paneling in the dining room, living room and entry was started, unearthing more evidence of mice (ick). Also discovered that the sliders in the dining room are not original to the home. There is an even taller header underneath, which tells me that the original doors were even taller, as are the windows throughout the home, which has 9 1/2 foot ceilings. I plan on replacing these doors (hate sliders) with a patio door that has one fixed side as a window and the other as as door. Much more energy efficient in the process.

On Tuesday, I will return to the local bank where I got my mortgage and apply for a line of credit. Based on estimates, what is being unearthed in demo, my list of remodeling repairs/upgrades keeps changing, which is to be expected. I need to finalize my financing to keep my cash flow. 3 of the main contractors/tradesmen only take checks, no CC, which is a pain. After buying my home with a 20% downpayment, my coffers are low. I'll make it happen, and was given verbal assurance that some monies would be available.

I've had the locks changed by a mobile locksmith from NY-pretty cool, he literally works in his van.

I had a bit of suspected mold eradicated by a local service as well


 I've gotten quotes from 3 landscaping services for lawn maintenance, spring clean up, snow plowing and cutting in a new planting bed in the front of the house and mulching it, along with the existing planter beds on the other side of the front of the home. I am thinking of trying one guy first, and if unhappy, will move to the second. His prices were better on both lawn mowing and plowing and significantly cheaper on the clean up and mulch/creating the new planting bed. He also specializes in masonry, which is good as I am considering eventually having a patio perhaps off of the back deck.


Contractor is coming by today to get a deposit and also to see the scope of the demo, take measurements for tile work, etc. He starts Monday, as does the electrican and the wood floor guy may* come out and install the kitchen floor. That would be great as although the lower kitchen cabinets will remain out for a bit so that the electrician can more easily run the wires for under the cabinet lighting,, they can then be replaced, along with the counter and sink, for the plumber and electrician to finish their work in the kitchen. Electrician wasn't planning on starting until Wed, but reached out and asked if he couldn't start on the ceiling fans (5) and ceiling lights (pot lights in living room (5) and kitchen (6) as well.

I anticipate a flurry of activity these next few weeks as we work on getting the home ready.

17 comments:

The Line has been Drawn said...

Wow! You have been busy! So nice that you can get all this done before moving in!

Hawaii Planner said...

I can relate to much of this! We bought a house that had literally not a single light. How could you live like that??? My husband has installed over 80, but it's a giant mess. And, we found out we have rats in the outdoor area for the pool. It must be burned to the ground, rebuilt & sealed. We've done many, many projects & yet the house still looks like a demo project. ;-) It will all come together soon enough!

Belinda said...

You have been busy! Sorry to hear about the mice infestation. Hoping all goes well from here on out. :)

meme said...

wow - busy is not the word for it! We had mice come into our house about five years back - there was some flooding in our yard due to several back to back rainstorms and in came the mice in the basement! EEK! Naturally I had a pest service come out - they said the problem was also because our neighbor has a large garden. They set the poison boxes, traps, husband went over the foundation looking for and sealing any tiny cracks. We were able to get rid of the mice - there were only a few, caught in the traps and we checked the poison boxes everyday, replaced them as needed, got rid of the mice. But I was so "freaked out" at the thought of them, that we know keep about ten traps set in the basement, just for my piece of mind! We have not had anymore. I look forward to seeing the progress on your house!

Mary Wirsing said...

Congratulations!! Have fun remodeling, it will be worth it.

Meg B. said...

Whew! You seem to leave out the part where the contractors pull a no show! But no, you have someone call to see if he can come early! I am currently working on a roof situation, and just cannot get the people to show when they say. It's a common problem in this area. I think they promise the moon, then find a bigger job, and give that priority. And then these local guys wonder why we use big name contractors/big box stores.

Linda said...

I priced Speed Queens and if I could have afforded the washer, it would be my first choice. You have a lot to do. When do you plan to move in?

CT Bargain Mom said...

You have been a busy lady! I hope you took before demo photos with the yucky stuff before the removal process began. Your DXH sounds like a decent guy to come help with demo & heavy stuff - nice to see people be adults after divorce.
Don't forget to keep us all updated with photos of your frugal progress.....maybe it's a new blog direction "Truly Frugal Home Improvemnt"

Toni in TN said...

So excited for this next step in your new life.

Treaders said...

My goodness I am in awe. You are so organized. A long time reader here but first time commenter. I think saying "good luck" is redundant as you seem so on top of everything. Well done. Anna

Treaders said...

I think my comment got sent into cyber space. Just wanted to say I am in awe of your organizational skills. Well done, and saying "good luck" is probably redundant - you seem to have been making your own luck for ages. Well done. Anna

thyme2save said...

BIG REWARD coming in your future. STUFF does not just happen. Planning and work, work, work will pay off. Happy for you. -thyme2save

Ms. Sandie said...

So happy for you!

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I assumed that was the reason you hadn't posted in a few days--looks like you are moving right along on your checklist of things to be done. I would love that laundry room off the kitchen because I'm getting tired of running up and down the cellar stairs. I have always done laundry one day a week, but I'm slowly getting into the habit of doing a little bit in the middle so my laundry day is less wearing on me. Have to make these adjustments to old age. I don't feel old until my body complains of something I have been doing regularly without complaint.

I look forward to more photos as things get done. Hope everything goes smoothly!

Anne in the kitchen said...

This is really exciting and I am sure a little anxious at the same time. Sounds like a fabulous plan!

mikemax said...

Wow! You move fast.

I have one suggestion that won't cost you any more if you act on it at the outset. It has to do with the pedestal sink you're planning. We had a little utility room in the basement of a house that we owned. We also had a roughed-in bathroom next to it that DH finished. We were all set to put in a vanity sink, until it occurred to him that a regular-type sink (we actually got a bar sink) with a high faucet would be more useful. Of course, this was in the basement and nowhere near the kitchen faucet, which might have made a difference in his thinking. But I can tell you, that little sink with high faucet was handy for filling buckets and for many, many other things. Just something to consider.

CTMOM said...

Thanks, TReader aka "Anna"