Saturday, March 25, 2017

What's for dinner: trying something new, in the pantry challenge

 Dinner prep started early today, in order to allow the flavors to marinate in a batch of homemade cole slaw. I used my last "old" carrot (anticipated the need, and bought 2 more lbs the other day) and used one of my loss leader, St Pat's cabbages.

 Dollar Tree, large can of Hanover baked beans out of the kitchen pantry cupboard. The last pkg of beef franks are defrosted in the fridge, and will be pan fried in reserved bacon fat. I didn't want to buy hot dog buns, so using the recently discovered, soft hamburger bun recipe, I had my first ever attempt at making my own hot dog buns.
Noted that I have about 2 lbs left of AP flour, so plan on buying a 5 lb bag soon. Meanwhile, I baked off my more rustic, and larger than I thought they'd be, hot dog buns. They taste good (sampled a side bit) but made a not to make 10 not 8 next time. No trips to the store, used ingredients on hand, so this worked for me.


6 comments:

Belinda said...

They look great! The one time I attempted making buns, (hamburger, I think) I was too embarrassed to photograph them. LOL

Kathy said...

I have never tried making hamburger/ hot dog buns but yours look good! I'm sure they taste delicious.

Busy Bee said...

I love homemade buns! I don't like the texture of the store bought ones.

CTMOM said...

THis is my recently found/discovered, soft hamburger bun recipe turned into hot dog rolls. Did the trick, avoided buying them. Next time, I will make more of them, in smaller size. They are very tastey.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

By new found recipe do you mean you had misplaced it, or that you have a new recipe. Because I've been using your old recipe for years now. Sometimes I make burger buns, and sometimes sausage/hot dog buns. I use all white flour at this point but I'm thinking of getting some whole wheat flour. I just don't like it as much, but I should be using it!

Linda said...

I have always been intrigued at the thought of making hamburger and hotdog buns. It will probably never happen here.