Friday, March 24, 2017

What's for dinner? Baked macaroni and cheese

As is my new normal, I have 2 versions of my traditional mac and cheese, now baking off in the mini convection oven. I intentionally cooked extra GF and regular pasta earlier this week, so as to be able to assemble this even quicker, saving energy in the process. I used up a small baggie with home grated and later fzn, Swiss cheese deli ends (still plenty more in additional bags) and the rest of an open block of NY Cheddar. To the left is DD's pasta, to the right, the dish for me and DS #2. Only other modification was to substitute lactaid milk for the white sauce and to use a tad more than would be required of the finished cheese sauce in DD's version as rice pasta really soaks up sauce. Her's is also topped with homemade GF bread crumbs, ours has regular Panko.

Sides are:
 individual tossed salads of organic baby salad greens, tomato, black olives (served with choice of dressing).
-fzn broccoli for 2 of us, as DD can't tolerate it.

9 comments:

Meg B. said...

You are really finding your way easily through the gluten free diet path.
When I foresee a chaotic evening in the week, I will cook pasta in the morning. and figure out how to serve it, as the day unfolds. It definitely helps to get dinner on the table more quickly!

Linda said...

DD cannot tolerate it as in allergy or just does not like it.

meme said...

Now I WANT mac and cheese! Yours looks delicious!

CTMOM said...

DD has IBS and is on a restricted diet, gluten free, FODMAP

Hawaii Planner said...

Love homemade mac & cheese, but if you can believe it - the kids don't like it?? Who would have thought?

Belinda said...

That looks so good. I need to add it to our menus soon.

CTMOM said...

Very rich, I haven't made it in some time. Looking to use up surplus, I had planned it out a month ago, to eat down both pasta as well as surplus cheese on hand. More we eat now, the more I save at the grocery store and the less I have to move. Reduced spending translated into $200 saved in March on groceries alone. I'll take it.

Carole said...

Is the diet helping your daughter with the IBS symptoms?

CTMOM said...

Carole, yes. If she deviates from it, she gets sick.