Saturday, March 18, 2017

What's been cooking?

 Wednesday night, I returned to our long standing tradition of Wed is pasta night, started back when Wed night was CCD night and I needed something on the menu that was quick to get to the table. DS and I had spaghetti (opened last box of this cut pasta, plenty of other cuts still on hand). Crock Pot was simmering away a spaghetti sauce with sausage crumbles in it.
 Lingering rolls were turned into garlic toasts, no salt, canned green beans completed the menu
 DS's plate, served with grated Parmesan

As is our new normal, a pan of rice pasta noodles were cooked for DD


 No bread for her as it wasn't GF, but she still ate well

Thursday night was YOYO night, both kids here decided to join the twin (older DS was working) at dinner with Dad night at a local diner.  I had a burger.
 This week's Sunday supper moved to Friday night as DD will be away this weekend. Although I still follow Lenten rules, our diocese waived, as they usually do, the Lenten rules for St Pat's. 2 sale priced corned beef were simmered in the CP. I later removed the meat to a platter, and used the microwave as a warming box. I transferred the cooking water to a pot, and boiled red potatoes, carrots, 2/3 a cabbage (2 of the 6 of us can't/won't eat cabbage). I did plan ahead and cooked off an entire bag of red Bliss potatoes, as planned overs of corned beef hash served with pork beans is on deck tonight.
 I made my own Irish soda bread, returning to my usual whole wheat version, using up the set aside raisins from a box of Raisin bran.
 I also experimented and adapted a GF recipe for mini Irish soda breads (the original version was a savory, herbed roll more than a traditional Irish soda bread). DD really likes them, so this was a win-hard to do when scratch baking GF breads!
 A bit of Jello remains, but I also offered up a baked dessert: a version of Magic cookie bars. DD had made DX a GF birthday cake earlier in the week, and had some crumbs leftover, which she turned into "cake balls" which meant having some leftover coconut with some cake crumbs in them. In an effort to not waste (the last of our shredded coconut), I scrounged around and pulled out a can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 a bag of sliced almonds, 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips, a jar with home crushed graham crackers, so this recipe was a great means to use it up, avoid waste.  Win-win!
Once a year, we empty a large bottle of Penzey's double strength vanilla extract. Naturally, the spent vanilla bean is added to the table's sugar bowl, to impart it's flavor to the sugar there. We've used up the organic sugar, no more will be bought at the moment, so I've replenished the bowl with regular cane sugar.

2 comments:

Meg B. said...

I have never heard of Penzey's. I use a lot of vanilla, and sometimes use vanilla beans in baking, if they are on the clearance shelf, of course. To use in baking, you're supposed to slice the pod, and use the tiny beans inside. I've always tossed the pod part. But, I mix cheap vodka and water with a few drops of essential oils in a spray bottle for a natural glass cleanser/air freshener. I think the next time I happen to use a vanilla bean, I will put the pod remnant in the mixture, and let it do its thing to add fragrance.

CTMOM said...

Meg B. Here is a link: https://www.penzeys.com/ If you have a local store, you are lucky. Otherwise, do a mail order once a year. Great quality and per lb, much cheaper than say McCormick's. I tend to get the pouches, refill my own jars. Lots of coupons, freebies, too.