Sunday, March 5, 2017

The recycling is filling up quickly

 Trash/recycling pick up was Friday; we've already filled on 13 gallon bag full of recycling. This is a reflection of using packaged dry goods, as I am able to recycle all packaging.
 I consolidate some of my baking supplies, noting that I still had 2 cans of evaporatd milk, which I normally would use for pumpkin pie. In the past, I've also used it to make cocoa. I looked on line, and sure enough, it can be used for pudding. So, with the addition of 1 cup of fluid milk, I made 2 boxes' worth of pudding out of it.
 I have 6 individual tubs now of pudding, along with a container of Jello.
Ripe, fresh pears were teamed with the saved dregs of some sweetened cereal and the bottom of the bag, crushed bits from shredded wheat, and transformed into a crisp, substituting the cereal for the usual oats.

4 comments:

Dagmar said...

This is a great idea! My son likes "Honey Bunches of Oats" cereal, but won't eat the fine crumbs at the bottom of the bag. Crisp is a perfect use for those sweet, delicious crumbs!

Busy Bee said...

I've never used evaporated milk like that. I do use in a white sauce from time to time though. It is easier for me to keep on hand than a heavy cream.

CTMOM said...

Busy, it's a first for me, worked fine, got those 2 lurking cans out of the pantry. Win-win.

DW said...

I've used it for pudding (especially when I wanted to save the fresh milk for drinking/cereal). It does work well. I also use it instead of cream in my corn chowder ... get some of the richness, but not the fat and calories of cream.