Saturday, March 4, 2017

Textiles as a resource

I have always looked at textiles as a resource. Once clothing is stained, worn, no longer desired, etc. I figure out what to do with it: towels are most likely turned into cleaning rags, along with 100% cotton clothing. Recently, I have been wanting to buy some produce bags, to be able to refuse plastic at the farmer's market and the grocery store. I finally found a maker on Etsy, who made some that I felt were larger in size, but I didn't like the price.

I noticed that one of my V necked, dressier T's developed some holes in the front. Being knit, I know that the mending would show, so this became a resource.

I cut off the cap sleeves, tossed those. I cut straight across, just below the armpits, through both layers, setting this aside. I cut further into the bodice, creating a nice, soft dusting rag, which now resides with my other cleaning rags.

I now turned the body of the T inside out and sewed the raw edges shut, then repeated 1/4 inch away, making for a reinforced seam, usiing pink spool thread and a mint green bobbin as a means to use up more of my inherited thread. I turned it right side out, and took a seam ripper to make 2 side seam openings in the former bottom hem (the cloth is now upside down but it doesn't matter). I grabbed a salvedged athletic shoe lace, and fished it thru the hem seam, creating a drawstring.



I now have a cute produce bag at zero cost!


 I also put this purple "pouch" that originally housed my new duvet cover. It has a velcro closure which should also suffice as a produce bag


More mending, these 2 towels are frequent flyers but they are still good, absorbant towels. A flannel pillow case, a pair of boxers. Some hand mending awaits, on the table next to my recliner for working on while tv viewing.

7 comments:

Belinda said...

Your new produce bag is adorable. :)

Busy Bee said...

I love repurposing cloth. I am amassing a pile of men's dress shirts to use as quilt top fabric.
Great idea on the produce bag. Anything that uses existing sewing is a bonus!

CTMOM said...

Thanks, Belinda, I love how it came out.

meme said...

Love the new produce bag! I have never thought of using a t-shirt for that. I use the bags like you have - the purple one - for produce in my fridge. Now that you explained how to make one, I can do that with my grandchildren's stained shirts (besides using them for cleaning!)

CTMOM said...

Using the T upside down means taking advantage of the presewn hem as a chase for the string/shoelace/ribbon etc. Very quick project.

Dagmar said...

I would love to hear how you use these cloth produce bags. When I think of storing produce, I think of plastic bags. Clearly there are other options--how do you deploy them?

Marcia in rural WNY said...

All the linens and misc. things I've bought lately seem to come in heavy plastic bags with zippers. They are very handy for storage items which go on top of a shelf in my bedroom closet. You can store extra (used) blankets and they stay clean and dust free so when you need to use them, you can just pull them out. I keep all my extra/saved linens there. My DD laughs because the bedspread she HAD to have at 16 is there. She only used it about 2 years. She turned 53 last week--but that bedspread is like new. I have pulled it out during power outages, and also used it to block off a room when my Mom was recovering from a hospital stay a few years back. (I had a bedside commode in there and she needed the privacy.) I try to keep one set of well used sheets for each bed when I get new ones, in case of illness and middle of the night emergencies. The biggest plastic bags, such as from mattress pads, etc. will hold my summer shorts and capris during the winter too--out of the way, and clean for spring. It sure makes the storage closet look a lot neater to have everything bagged up and covered. I might need to sponge off the bags occasionally but the items inside are cleaned and it savings have to wash again before using. Best of all--they are free with the linens I bought (on sale, of course.)