Thursday, March 2, 2017

Remodeling: house entry and living room

 This is a view from the dining room, looking towards the entry: the wall paneling will be removed and sheet rock installed with insulation behind in exterior wall areas, walls painted a yet to be determined color (may end up being the same as the living room/dining) the cedar in the closet sanded to refresh it, the ceiling light replaced, the outlets and switches replaced, the floors sanded. The front door is a strong, wooden door with a large, wide full pane of glass side light. I may* choose to cover the side light with some crackle window cling. Existing door mat will be used. Done.
The living room is 15 feet long. Once can see the very wide opening into the dining room on the left as well as the small ramp and railing used to bring one from the upper level (entry to right towards all bedrooms and full baths)down one step into the living/dining/kitchen/laundry "level." I wanted all one level living. Considering the overabundance of raised ranches, I am quite happy with this, thanks. Once again, the paneling comes down, exterior walls will be insulated, all formerly paneled walls will be sheetrocked and painted a taupe color. At soome point, I will have crown molding installed. There are existing, really nice Bali cellular blinds in each of the 7 long, wide front, crank, Anderson windows (replacements at some point), Eventually, I will add some drapes of some sort, drapery hardware. The floor will be refinished. A big change is to open up the wall between the eat in area of the kitchen and the living room that it backs up against. I am thinking of doing a wide open window, verses completely opening the wall. This will help with furniture placement, be much cheaper than having to get a structural engineer to design and ok this modification yet, one will get a more open floor plan in the process. This is the idea from a competitor home that went to contract before I could see it this week:



A large ceiling fan would also be installed, along with pot lights, especially in front of the fireplace, which needs an inspection. If deemed safe, we can use it this Fall, but eventually, I'd like to explore installing a propane gas fireplace insert here as well, if not a wood stove-much more efficient than an open fire place. I sold off all of my wood burning accessories and will have to replace them. The fireplace appears to be more of a grey with black slate hearth. I will need to look closely. I am aware that there are now special paints that act like glazes, and I could move the color to more of a beige, which seems to be my neutral.

8 comments:

ct legal eagle said...

Hi Carol,
I may be turning my fireplace into gas - I will keep checking your blog. I may have extra andirons and other stuff...
I am in Fairfield.
Looks like a wonderful home!
Best, Ilene

Anne in the kitchen said...

I have gone through all your pictures and read your plans. It looks like you have a really fine home and with the exception of adding a half bath and ripping out the hall bath, things are mostly cosmetic. Can't wait to see the after!

Belinda said...

I like the idea of opening up the wall between the living and dining room. That would definitely open it up and look good and allow for more socialization between the two rooms. I've enjoyed looking at all your photos and posts about your new home. :)

CTMOM said...

Ilene aka "legal", I need to first, officially purchase the home. Assuming it goes through, I am unsure what I will be doing and when, with the fireplace. It will need to be inspected. A propane fire kit may be in my future, to be determined, if not a wood stove or a wood stove insert.

CTMOM said...

Belinda, the large wall opening will be between the living room and the kitchen's eating area, still sectioning off the eat in kitchen for furniture placement, yet opening up the view and air ciruclation. The dining room already has a huge walk through opening between the DR and living room.

CTMOM said...

Anne-thanks

Busy Bee said...

I love the idea of the open window. I like being able to be a part of things, but sometimes a tiny bit of closed off is nice, too.

meme said...

That is a very nice home!! The rooms all look to be excellent in size - love all the windows in the living room. I love your idea of opening up the wall with a "window".