Monday, March 27, 2017
Follow up with the Allergist, and getting meds
This morning's follow up visit went well, and the MD was to call in 2 nasal sprays for me (generics) as my insurance company will no longer cover the 2 in one formulation. I had previously used 2 sprays, gradually switching over to generics with no issues and ultimately this 2 in one, once it hit the market, only ever choosing it over the 2 separate sprays, if it was cheaper or free, as in this case. The MD did give me 2 sample packs of the 2 in one as a freebie. With no deductible left, the 2 90 day RX's will be mail ordered to me at no cost. This would be the March refill. I will do this again in May, then finally in July, getting a stock pile of maintenance meds on hand while I still have my current insurance and remain in paid up deductible status.
I realized when I got home, that I never asked about a refill for my rescue asthma inhaler. Once again, my ins will no longer cover the brand that I have used for years. I used the on line drug cost estimator but it seemed off. I called the ins company to confirm that they will cover the 2 generic sprays (which they will, and the RXs already called in for the 2 separate sprays are already processing), as well as to figure out which inhaler they will cover. It's a $50-$90 cost otherwise. They will fill a substitute brand that I have used before, so I messaged the MD on the patient portal, asking that he submit a RX as well to the mail order company for my inhaler.
Additionally, I asked about my allergy serums, the current ones were made in Aug 2016. If new serums need to be made (due to refills or age), I asked that they do so before Aug 30th, when my current ins will expire. He has been great about working around ins companies. I await a reply.
It's important for me to stay on top of these concerns, due to the unknown with insurance coverage come September. I continue to have multiple MD and lab appointments as I get it all done before that looming deadline. A necessary evil.