Friday, March 3, 2017

Avoiding the million dollar tomato, gardening on a budget

It is very easy to spend gobs of money on gardening at home. I am planning on have a small, kitchen garden at my new home. One area that can be expensive, is fencing. Although I am moving to an established, suburban like area of the city, there certainly must be wildlife about, which means installing a fence.

Image: http://cdn.goodshomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Pallet-fence-5.jpg

I plan on having a pallet fence built, using free for the taking, pallets to surround a 16 x 10 garden that I'd like to establish.  I would need nails, additional blocks of wood to tie the pallets together (or alternatively use traditional green metal garden fence stakes to act like rebar supports). I hope to gather my supplies for cheap, if not free. I can then spend my money on seeds, compost.


Additional pallets will be used (along with some hinges and L brackets) to construct a compost bin, which I may/not use as a planter box as well. Pallet compost bin

I may find the need to buy some gardening tools, to do so, I will turn to Facebook tagsale sites, local tool consignment shops, Habitat for humanity. I've always preferred older items, especially as they are American made, made of quality, and one can't beat the price!

I hope to plant (if not this year, then next year):
-asparagus
-beets
-beans (multiple kinds)
-lettuce
-spinach
-chard
-tomatoes
-potatoes
-Summer squash
-Winter squash
-onions
-herbs
-rhubarb
-strawberries
-broccoli


4 comments:

meme said...

That will be a great garden! Really saving on the grocery bill in the long run.

Lili said...

That sounds like a good kitchen garden. Did you list snow peas or sugar snap peas? Those are nice for us, because in our area, they produce at a time of the season when the only other veggies coming out of the garden are leafy greens.

If you lived nearby, I'd dig up a rhubarb root for you! Rhubarb has got to be one of the most frugal garden fruits/vegs eaten as fruit. I planted 3 rhubarb plants, 20 years ago, and I now have about 7 plants, and I've given away 3 or 4. They take very little effort to maintain, yet they produce and produce and produce.

Happy gardening!

CTMOM said...

Lili, Yes to snow peas or sugar snaps, I had forgotten about them! I once had strawberry rhubarb, from a plant that my Great grandmother brought down from Quebec with her. It's at my now Ex's home. Hmm . . if it's still there, as in alive, I should ask if I can have it.

Morgan said...

I do the most frugal gardening available which is enjoying the overflow produce of my father's garden! I do occasionally weed but I am definitely the winner in this arrangement.