Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Tuesday: Sweet Potato topped, turkey Sheppard's pie


I'm making my own version of this tonight:  Sweet potato topped, turkey Sheppard's pie.  I will use planned over roast turkey, homemade stock, l/o collection of vegetables, additional vegetables: onion, celery, carrot; planned over mashed sweet potatoes..  I think I will top it with some freshly grated NY state sharp Cheddar. A salad with choice of dressing to accompany. It's a rainy, raw day here-perfect!

I am hoping for some leftovers for Wed night, when DS will be out with Dad for supper, DD may/not join them.

 I gathered my ingredients: planned over mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 of an onion, the open red onion, celery and carrot, a container of l/o vegetables
 The roast turkey meat
 The defatted turkey geletin; the Jello like consistency is what you want to extract from the bones
 The reserved turkey fat
 I placed the l/o mixed vegetables into a casserole
 Using turkey fat, I sauteed a mire poix
 Meanwhile, I microwaved 2 cups worth of stock
 The container of scrap turkey meat was chopped
 I added flour to make a roux around the mire poix
 The stock was added and stirred in to make a gravy
 Spices used
 Didn't use all of the scrap meat, I felt that it was too much
 1/2 a bag of frozen peas was used up, adding color to the dish
 The filling was mixed well
 The sweet potatoes forked on top of the casserole
 I used up the remaining Christmas cheese, hand grating smoked Guda and NY sharp Cheddar
covering the top of the sweet potatoes. I am now baking it off in the mini convection oven @ 350 degrees.


6 comments:

Laura said...

Looks delicious. I am making something similar this week, more like chicken and biscuits except using leftover turkey meat and turkey broth for the filling/stew and I will make sweet potato biscuits to top. It's quite yummy -- I hope yours turned out well!

meme said...

Wow - that looks great! I have never thought of adding cheese to the top of Shepard's Pie.

Ms. Sandie said...

I am going to save this idea. Looks wonderful.

CTMOM said...

Laura, that sounds delicious! I often add some parsley if not Herbes de Provence to biscuits. Shredded cheese is also welcomed. Pure comfort food!

CTMOM said...

Meme, with a white potato, aka "classic" Sheppards pie, I normally sprinkle some Paprika for color and/or add some grated Cheddar on top. I was looking to use up the Xmas leftover cheese, and the original recipe called for some cheese as well. I adapted the recipe to suit what I have/my needs. Came out very nice! DS had seconds!

CTMOM said...

Sandie, it was very good!