Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pantry/freezer challenge 2017: salad dressings

 I rarely purchase salad dressing, but a few do end up in the pantry. Case in point: this bottle of Olive Garden restaurant vinaigrette. I know that I bought it with a large/doubled coupon. I normally just mix up my own vinaigrettes. Lots of salads have been eaten as of late, so it became time to replenish the dressings. This morning found me first refilling the small, glass bottle for red wine vinegar from the large, gallon sized bottle of the same that I store in the pantry, alongside the gallons of cider vinegar and white vinegar. I mixed up a cruet of vinaigrette and grabbed this OG vinaigrette off of the pantry shelf.
Next, I decided to mix up a batch of Penzey's creamy peppercorn dressing, using some l/o sour cream from Christmas and mayonnaise to do so. I received the dressing mix as a freebie from Penzey's.

3 comments:

Life In Mooseport said...

I love Olive Garden dressing. I make a quick pasta salad with rotini, slightly cooked sliced carrots and sliced black olives tossed with dressing. Refrigerate for a couple hours for the best flavor. My kids and grandkids love it.

CTMOM said...

Life, that sounds like something we'd like. I often offer up cold, Italian pasta salad for lunches, come Summer. May have to do a small batch as a sandwich alternative for DS to tote to school. I have little cold cuts left, been doing PB & J every other day. Still have tuna, but only 2 eggs in the house!

Belinda said...

I didn't know that Penzey's had a creamy peppercorn dressing, that is good to know. I need to make up a new batch of ranch dressing soon. The homemade dressings are so much better than store bought.