Friday, January 20, 2017

It's time again: making a soap cake

One of those silly, once a month or so things that I do to use up all of my resources: slivers of soap (we tend to use nicer ones due to skin issues) were chopped up, mixed together as they liquified into a foamy paste, then decanted into this repurposed, soft cream cheese tub, now turned into soap cake mold. This batch used the slivers of a previous soap cake (mostly lavendar soap slivers), a few Lush bars, a few Cetaphil bars, an European shea butter bar. I have a really good sized soap cake to use in my bathroom.

8 comments:

Kathi D said...

I tried to make a soap cake but it falls apart.

BlogReader said...

We just stick the old sliver on the fresh bar and it binds in a shower or two. Then use and repeat.

Life In Mooseport said...

Not silly at all. I save my Dove soap bar slivers and microwave with a small amount of glycerine to form a new bar.

Christie Hogan said...

There are only two of us here, DH and myself, so we just attach the slivers to the new bar. When our son was still at home he did the same thing. I honestly never thought of making it into a bar, but it is a great idea!!

Ms. Sandie said...

This is on my to-do list

Kathy said...

Cool! My slivers tend to dissolve in the shower, so I will try gathering them up to make a soap cake. Do you melt them so they stick together?

CTMOM said...

Kathy, copy/paste this link to my page, to a step by step post on just what I do: https://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2015/08/it-had-been-while.html

Kathy said...

Oh cool! Thanks for the link!