Saturday, December 24, 2016

Weekly mending and attacking 2 projects

 Yesterday, I attacked the ever growing mending pile: 3 more napkins were repaired, 2 on the machine getting new seams and a third was hand sewn, blending in a repair in the linen next to the color thread that encases the edges of the napkin; a Christmas pillowcase needed a heam resewn, 2 bath towels and a face cloth were repaired, a few socks (not pictured) were hand darned; a very old, almost 30 years? canvas bag with very frayed handles had the wornout handles encased in some red, double seam binding.
 DD's shirt had a seam that needed to be sewn shut. I also cut up 2 100% cotton flannel nighties into squares and turned the cut edges under, sewing them into place to prevent a tangled mess in the laundry.
 DD currently has a nasty cold and had already used up the 2 boxes of lotion tissues, when I presented her with these homemade "hankies." She hesitated a bit but once she tried them, she was delighted in their softness on her very irritated nose.
2 pairs of DS's shorts needed new buttons and one needed the fabric reinforced first


Once again, I was able to use up more inherited thread of odd colors.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I have a huge stack of mending and a list. One cold and dreary day, I will gather it all up and go to the library, sit, mend by hand. The library is well-lit, warm, and has comfortable chairs!

meme said...

I hope your daughter feels better soon! Merry Christmas...

Belinda said...

Nice to get all that mending done. The hankies are so nice compared to kleenex. I hope she is feeling better soon.

mikemax said...

As I was making my bed at the other house this morning, I discovered about a foot of binding on one of my beloved wool blankets had come loose. I could have sewed it back by hand, but decided to machine stitch it with the 3-step zigzag. Only problem: blanket there, machine here, and we were hauling our stuff in the open back of a 4WD pickup. Next time we drive the van there, I'll take my sewing machine and fix it there; also look around for anything else that may need mending. My family is smaller than yours, so I don't mend as much as you do, but mend I do! My latest project was to replace a zipper in a pocket of my DD's coat. I ended up whip-stitching the ends, but it looks and works fine. Oh, and I've had the zipper in my stash since a 7-incher only cost .35!