Monday, November 7, 2016


 3 pairs of boxers, all had large tears in them, strange. Now freshly repaired, back into rotation. Just the other day, DS was commenting that he is low on boxers. I have also been removing spent elastic pairs, cutting some up for rags.
 A wire poking through a bra
 was pushed back in, the fabric whip stitched shut by hand, using a neutral grey thread.
 Many towels were here, normally I have to repair the edges, but this buttercream one had the stitching of the turned over edge come undone. I used some of the seemingly never ending spool of chartreuse thread with a neutral grey on the bottom.

 Kitchen wash cloths, frayed edges repaired
and a few holes, as well: here you can see my mending technique, using a bobbin of red and a spool of rusty brown.. The repair was intentionally made on the understide so as to leave the red on top, not that I am all that fussy with utilitarian items such as these.

 DS's favorite Polo shirt somehow was snagged on a hook at work, straight across the back. Double he'll wear it as is, but as an underlayer, where the repair wouldn't show, absolutely.
 A new button from my stash was added to a hanging towel. Yes, it's a Christmas one, tells you how long it sat.

 A pair of DD;s BLACK knit pants with a hole at the knee. These are a deep black, and the repair doesn't really show, due to the location.
 My recently washed, woven grocery totes: these are all now double layered, really awful ones tossed. I'm using these up and will then limit myself to my nice LL Bean/Lands End and other canvas totes, my homemade bags.
 2 pin holes in a fairly new T shirt were hand sewn shut to prevent larger holes. I had the exact blue needed, along with the white.
 Thin towels had their cut edges turned under and sewn shut to prevent unraveling in the wash. All weird color combinations used, no matching bobbins with spool. These are utilitarian workhorses for cleaning in my home.
 There are occassions when only white (or black, beige) will do: a vintage Damask napkin had an unrolled and fraying edge.
Good as new!

 A pair of fleece PJ pants had spent elastic, so I made a navy ribbon out of double folded bias tape and fed it through the waistband chase.
More items repaired: my brown/cream sweater had an opened sleeve seam, the 2 handed pot holder had the bias edge tape come undone, many, many towels had frayed edges. Great to get these back into rotation.

I've been busy! Glad to see 5 spools were used up.

Cost: $0.


Anne in the kitchen said...

Mending, ugh! Yet something we all have to do. I found a super tip for the poking underwire issue. If you poke it back in and cover the hole with a small piece of moleskin before sewing it together the repair lasts so much longer and is much more comfortable.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I don't wear underwires but get to repair my DD's and DGD's bras. I just cut about a quarter inch off the underwire, pop it back in, and stitch across it a few times on the machine. Sometimes a small patch of fabric is needed if the hole got too large before it went in the mending pile. Ribbon is a good choice as it is smooth against the skin. It's usually about 1/4 inch square so it barely matters, but the princess and the pea story might apply to my fussy family.

Linda said...

I only saw the last post you posted this morning where you commented on all the mending done. I knew I was missing something. Now, I know. I have a serger I use on frayed towels and washcloths and stuff like that. I had one towel from 1970 that just kept getting smaller and smaller. I need to hand mend a bunch of things, too.

Ms. Sandie said...

So impressed! I didn't mend today, but I did do cooking and meal prep. I also wrapped all holiday gifts (I am normally NOT this proactive) and checked the list for the last few I need to make or get. Also planned an entire Native American class including finding all crafts needed in the storage room. No additional funds spent.

Busy Bee said...

I've been mending, too. I find it relaxing and economically beneficial -- a win win