Thursday, November 3, 2016

Make do and mend when stuff breaks

 The bottom cross bar on one of my acquired from Freecycle, steel, folding drying racks snapped off the other day. Ideally, I'd have this spot welded, but considering the no cost investment I already have and that a few areas of the vinyl coated wire is starting to chip off, I don't want to put any significant monies into a repair. I could still use the drying rack, minus the cross bar, I'd just have to be careful where I placed the rough end of the frame as it could damage the wood floor.
 Duck tape to the rescue! I made darts and slits in various strips of Duct tape and reapplied the cross bar to the frame as best I could.
Not perfect, but this is working for now. Tape was on hand, so no additional cost to me.

6 comments:

Linda said...

SCORE on the freebie! Good job on the repair.

meme said...

I have the exact same drying rack. I have had it for about 14 years now. A lot of the paint/vinyl has come off it - it gets a lot of use. It is a good sturdy rack

Anne in the kitchen said...

I can't live without duct tape for this very reason

kelley said...

feels great to keep things unlawful order without having to spend...I have an old garbage can held together with wire and duct tape...

Precious People Preschool said...

Good job on the repair. I also have drying rack that is loosing some of the white coating nail polish and cheep craft paint take care of this problem and they both come in white. :)
Blessings,
Patti

Belinda said...

My daughter was laughing yesterday as she was repairing a chair with duct tape over how many things we have repaired with duct tape. It works great for that purpose. :)