Sunday, November 27, 2016

Got through a big project this afternoon!

 Circa 1975, my paternal grandmother made me a quilt for my then recently redecorated bedroom. I used this quilt for years, it has a nice heavy weight to it, which I prefer, and is warm. It was showing it's age, however, so I set it aside a a refurbishing project, after we moved here. First up: the frayed edges were all turned under once and sewn, using yet more of that darn chartreuse thread that I inherited. It seems that it's a never ending spool!
 I then turned the edges once more and sewed them down, completely encasing the frayed edges. Luckily, I have my workhorse, Singer featherweight to get through all of the layers.
 A smaller hole was mended simply by sewing back and forth to close it up. The mended area is inbetween the 2 flowers in the upper left portion of the panel.
 The worst damage was 2, approximately 7 inch long tears in one of the panels. This was a very homespun quilt that was made by sewing printed panels together, adding a backing and sides to the edges. My goal was mearly to mend it, not look for perfection. I started by top stitching the ripped areas back down onto the body of the quilt.
I made a simple patch out of a piece of 100% botton (orange/white/black spider print that was originally a pair of Gap boxers). It'd match so I used it. I made the patch by first stitching all  of the edges under by 1/4 of an inch. I then top stitched the newly fashioned patch directly over the stitched down, mended area. Finally, I retied several of the orange yarn bows.

Freshly laundered, it is now being dried and will return to service on the back of one of the great room's couches. Very pleased to have gotten to this project today, and to have finished it.

4 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Love mending old quilts. I have one that I mended for my mother when she couldn't see very well to do it herself any more. I spent many evenings visiting her and working on it by hand. She passed a couple years ago and I claimed the quilt--it needs more mending now, plus I even have patches cut to do it with. It's a Dresden Plate pattern I will just hand stitch a new segment over the ones that have worn through. It's not a work of art but just an old serviceable quilt--one which saw a lot of use in her lifetime. My aunt made it originally but there is still use left in it, so I'm planning on working on it in mid-winter, after the holidays!

I have a couple quilt tops of my own started but unfinished. Maybe before I finish my run, I will get them done. I loved to sew but it's not a creative outlet for me anymore. No little ones to sew for.

Busy Bee said...

A wonderful way to save a quilt!

Meg B. said...

Good for you. That quilt is amazing. I love quilts. I am a very lazy mender. Oh, I do it, but I am generally sloppy unless it's a seam. Most of the beyond salvaging clothing here becomes patchwork quilts, which, when they need mending, get another patch topstsitched over the damage.
I am short, as is one ds, so all our pants must be hemmed. I only buy my jeans second hand for this reason. If I mess up a hem on a $5.00 pair, I am not so traumatized. Though, over the years, I have developed a method that works well. The key to me staying on top of my sewing is having, like you, a designated area for my machine. Our little office, a room about 7x12 with a built in shelf is now my craft/sewing room. It was the computer room, but schoolkids and dh use laptops, so my Kenmore can stay on the desk. The work in sewing for me seemed to be setting up the machine. Now, if I or the kids need the area for a craft, we set the machine to the side of the desk, and ALAWAYS replace it...that's now just part of clean-up.

Theresa F said...

I was born in 1975. That quilt is a mere baby ;).