Blog on saving money and living on a budget in CT.
Sunday, November 27, 2016
Got through a big project this afternoon!
Circa 1975, my paternal grandmother made me a quilt for my then recently redecorated bedroom. I used this quilt for years, it has a nice heavy weight to it, which I prefer, and is warm. It was showing it's age, however, so I set it aside a a refurbishing project, after we moved here. First up: the frayed edges were all turned under once and sewn, using yet more of that darn chartreuse thread that I inherited. It seems that it's a never ending spool!
I then turned the edges once more and sewed them down, completely encasing the frayed edges. Luckily, I have my workhorse, Singer featherweight to get through all of the layers.
A smaller hole was mended simply by sewing back and forth to close it up. The mended area is inbetween the 2 flowers in the upper left portion of the panel.
The worst damage was 2, approximately 7 inch long tears in one of the panels. This was a very homespun quilt that was made by sewing printed panels together, adding a backing and sides to the edges. My goal was mearly to mend it, not look for perfection. I started by top stitching the ripped areas back down onto the body of the quilt.
I made a simple patch out of a piece of 100% botton (orange/white/black spider print that was originally a pair of Gap boxers). It'd match so I used it. I made the patch by first stitching all of the edges under by 1/4 of an inch. I then top stitched the newly fashioned patch directly over the stitched down, mended area. Finally, I retied several of the orange yarn bows.
Freshly laundered, it is now being dried and will return to service on the back of one of the great room's couches. Very pleased to have gotten to this project today, and to have finished it.