Saturday, October 15, 2016

Weekend baking

Alot of my efforts have been focused on baking for DD. On the weekend, however, I like to bake for the upcoming week, especially for the rest of the family, who aren't so limited in what they can eat. This week's offerings:


 A box mix of brownies from Aldi's
A lurking box of Halloween funfetti type cake mix, also from Aldi's but purchased on clearance last year. I grabbed them as I felt that they were Autumnal and would be fine as such. Good to get this last box used up. I will make a simple buttercream frosting to top the cake, and decorate it using whatever Fall sprinkles I have.

A blogger friend, Max, suggested that I use her orange frosting:

Fresh Orange Icing
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons grated orange rind
1/4 to 1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter until light. Beat in the orange rind, salt and lemon juice. Add the powdered sugar and orange juice alternately--start with 1/4 cup orange juice and add a few drops more at a time until the consistency is right. Beat until light and fluffy. Frosts two 9 inch layers.

To frost the top of a 13x9 cake, use 1/4 cup butter, 3 cups powdered sugar, 4 teaspoons grated orange rind, 3 tablespoons (plus) orange juice, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and a dash of salt.


I didn't have any fresh oranges, but I used dried orange peel and fresh not from concentrate OJ. I'm serving this with Sunday supper this weekend.

1 comment:

mikemax said...

The Funfetti cakes are very good with fresh orange buttercream icing, and it's really festive at this time of year. There is a recipe on the F-Files recipe page. Make about 2/3 as much for a pan cake.