Friday, October 28, 2016

The pantry principal: filling it with deals

 Here is the pantry, located down on the lower level, it really is a utility room with extra shelves. Perfect for storing a food pantry.
 The back wall, showing my home canned goods.
 One item that I added today was this: four, 5 lb bags of All purpose flour. While I prefer unbleached, at $1/bag from Dollar Tree, I am going with this.

Well in date, it is best by the end of Feb (someone really should tell them that Feb can't have more than 29 days!)2018.

4 comments:

meme said...

LOL on the 2/30/18 date! I wonder if all the months are preset to the 30th.

meme said...

I love your pantry. You have a good stock for your family

thyme2save said...

Pantry and freezer storage are like keeping a light in the window.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I find that in our area, the best deals of the year are found between September's school start and the Christmas holidays. I have been stocking up like crazy the last several weeks. Yesterday's total was 48% off with coupons and store card, and I actually hit 51% off a couple weeks ago. My cupboards are literally stuffed to the doors with bargains. My "normal" week is nearer 28-30% off.
I use the pantry principle all the time and get quite mad at myself if I ever really NEED something that is NOT on sale. I have a little shelf space in the basement I can use for overflow. It's hard for me to resist a $1.99 item when I can get it for 70 cents. I'm slowing down now as I am really well stocked for at least the winter months on most items. I generally won't buy more than 12 of anything as we are only two people. I do keep some "heat and eat" items on hand for possible snow storms and power outages, however. We have a generator and could run the microwave. My stove is electric, so no stove--would double the size of the generator needed and that costs too much.