Sunday, October 9, 2016

Sunday supper: using the Crock pot


Up early and have a gluten free version of my usual meatloaf, "baking" away in my oval Crock Pot. I used ground chicken breast (normally use grnd turkey but had a deal on marked down ck breast so that's the poultry used). Substitutions to meet DD's FODMAP and gluten free restictions: oats for bread crumbs, green scallions for onion, plain almond milk for milk. I am still able to use celery, eggs, Parmesan (that and Cheddar, Mozzarella are the few cheeses she can have). Ideally, I would have used a non HFCS ketchup. I discovered that the brand I was buying that used to be HFCS free, no longer is (or at least the bottles of it that I have down cellar in my pantry). She will eat around the ketchup. I didn't omit it, as I didn't want the meatloaf to dry out.




Sides will be baked acorn squash with just a tad of butter, cinnamon, nutmeg; mashed potatoes
 I made an apple pie (have vanilla ice cream for those interested) for everyone else; DD still has GF brownies (1/2 of which I have frozen to prolong them)
I also have a batch of apples cooking down, to be processed through a Foley mill. I will probably can it tomorrow, I am feeling tired, having done some housework and 3 loads of laundry today, in addition to cooking.

2 comments:

meme said...

That apple pie looks delicious!

CTMOM said...

Meme, it really hit the spot! Cooler temps here in CT, had the gas fireplace on last night to get the chill off. Hot cup of tea and a slice of pie after Sunday supper-perfect!