Monday, October 17, 2016

Energy conservation: LED bulbs

Energy conservation has always been a focus of mine, perhaps because I grew up during the energy crisis with black outs, gas lines, etc. We made the switch to CFL's years ago and saw immediate savings. Like any technological advancement, new technologies replaced CFL's, in this case, LED's which have been regularly available, just at a much higher cost. As always, I've found that if one waits a bit, prices will drop, alternative rebates/sources will become available. Eversource, the main CT electric company, even has a subsidized catelog for consumer's to shop from.

I came across these LED bulbs yesterday at Dollar Tree, ended up grabbing 8 to try. I switched out my desk CFL and immediately saw an improvement in the color and brightness of the light. We are dropping from 14 watt CFL's in this case, to a 9 watt LED. Ultimately, there should be a savings.

The days are getting shorter, lights, although I try to limit them to occupied rooms, are on ever more so as a result.

While I was there, I also grabbed the following: ground allspice, 2 containers each of dried onion and Italian seasoning , 2 pkgs batteries, 1 sweet chilli sauce (like Frank's sweet chilli sauce, same ingredients)-worth a try. Total spent: $16.64.

3 comments:

kelley said...

thanks for the heads up on the LED light bulbs at Dollar Tree...

Belinda said...

Good to see the LED bulbs are now at the Dollar Tree. We have also made the switch to LED's. I was so glad because the CFL's give off dirty electricity, which always bothered me, so I was more than glad to see the change.

CTMOM said...

Be sure to read the package: the ones I bought, although dimmable, are not supposed to be used in 3 way sockets, which many of my lamps have. Still, a good find, we'll work around that. What I can save for regular lamps sockets will help offset the 3 ways, which I think I will buy thru the electric company, as they offer significant savings over retailers.