Saturday, October 22, 2016

Crock Pot Saturday: chilli

 Cold, damp and rainy today, downright RAW! Great day to make a pot of chilli. Today's version used 1 can of rinsed and drained kidney beans, 1 can of rinsed and drained pink beans, 2 cans of Bush's red kidney chilli beans in sauce, only 1 lb of ground beef that I browned with a large onion, chopped. After cooking the onion/beef mixture, I strained it over a Pyrex measuring cup, later decanting the tallow into a covered glass container for future cooking. Small effort, saves on cooking oil and butter. As of my last blood work, my cholesterol is fine, so this practice continues.


I added 2 pints of organic, home canned tomatoes and some chilli powder. I will make a batch of gluten free corn bread to accompany, shred some Cheddar to top it.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Since I cannot stand beans in chili, I have bought chili in the can with no beans for years. It's only me to feed and please. However, I only use this canned chili to put over hotdogs and top with cheese.

Now, I don't eat beef, so will have to make ground pork chili if the doctor says I can have it. Your picture makes me so hungry for chili.

Belinda said...

Great minds think alike. We are also having chili for dinner. It was a very nippy 34 degrees here this morning.

CTMOM said...

So very cold and damp, my arthritis is not happy. : (

meme said...

My daughter made chili for us for lunch today - it is a misty, raw day here too.