Monday, September 12, 2016

Yay! Soup weather!

 I did a frige stocktake this morning, and am sooo happy that it is finally soup weather here. Pictured are 2 quarts of homemade beef broth that I had made out of steak bones a while back, a bag with last night's leftover London broil
 a gallon jar of thin egg noodles for soup, a pint of home canned tomatoes that didn't seal, 2 soft tomaotes, the rest of a red onion, 2 stalks celery, carrots, cabbage, the rest of a jar (about 1/2 cup?) of mixed yellow and green split peas
 beef bouillon (mostly for salt and color), black pepper, salt free garlic-herb seasoning.
 I started by sauteeing the carrots/celery/onion in reserved beef tallow (see triangular blobs that are beige?)
 Meanwhile, I chopped the tomatoes, slivered some cabbage, and cubed the leftover steak. I added everything but the noodles, and also added about 1 quart water and let the soup come to a simmer and cook about 1 hour before adding several handfuls of soup noodles.

Just waiting for the noodles to cook.




At home or work lunches for the week.

3 comments:

Belinda said...

I'm so glad it is soup weather too. Yours looks very good. :)

CTMOM said...

He he . . 52 degrees this morning, I am LOVING it, I hate the heat of Summer.

Busy Bee said...

I had vegetable soup one day. Still not quite cool enough to be truly soup weather here though...lol