Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The state of produce

 I haven't been to the Farmer's market for 2 weeks and while I have picked up a few sale items, I have been trying to stick with what is on hand. For fresh produce: 1/2 of a honeydew melon, one pint blueberries, 1 tub organic salad greens, savoy cabbage, red cabbage, 1/2 of a green cabbage, onions, Red Bliss and Russet potatoes, spaghetti squash, egg plant, mini cukes, carrots,


 apples.
 Frozen choices are sparce: besides hashbrowns and tater tots, I have peppers and onions, peas, green beans and 2 bags brussels sprouts
I have intentionally downsized my canned goods. We are only a family of 3 at the moment, Aldi's is about 7 minutes away, Shoprite about 4. I have beets, kernal and cream corn, French/cut green/wax beans as well as my home canned tomatoes.

I am looking for inspiration for side vegetable dishes for the following 8 dinners to complete this month:

sundried tomatoe-broccoli quiche: (tonight)
shepardess (meatless) pie:
beer battered fish n chips:
BSCB over noodles:
sweet n sour meatballs over rice:
baked vegetarian ziti with cheese:
baked fish and oven fries:
pork chops bake with apple stuffing:

Salad is planned a few of these nights, as is coleslaw. Some of my aforementioned vegetables are key ingredients such as in the coleslaw, a pot pie, as homemade fries.  Suggestions? I do try to balance colors when making choices. TIA

BTW, looking over the grocery ads this week, bargains are few. I would like to get over to IGA as they have both acorn and butternut squash for 79/lb, I may* also return to the farmer's market, especially as I got a $2 coupon in the recent Penny Saver flyer.

No comments: