Thursday, September 15, 2016

The proteins cupboard: looking for inspiration

This is what I refer to as the proteins cupboard. While we do eat meat and fish (stored in freezer for the most part), I do rely pretty heavily on alternative proteins beyond peanut butter, eggs, cheese, yogurt. For economy (we are officially now living on half of my former salary during this transition period to mimic what my retirement income/budget will be like)as well as health (I am on a salt restricted diet, medically imposed), I turn to dried peas, beans, lentils etc.


I've tried and developed recipes over the years, but am constantly looking for new ones, especially to incorporate new food stuffs that have entered the home. I currently have the following dried pulses on hand:

-navy beans
-pinto beans
-black beans
-whole yellow peas
-split yellow peas (with a few green mixed in)
-kidney beans
-black eyed peas
-large butter beans
-green lentils
-red lentils
-chic peas (plus 2 cans of low sodium)

I do a lot of bean side/entree dishes including burger patties, tacos, soups, chilli

I also have:
-farro
-organic quinoa
-barley
-bulgar wheat

I welcome any other suggestions/recipes! Thanks.


6 comments:

Linda said...

I have a recipe on my blog for black bean brownies. The brownies would be full of protein. They are delicious. I think they have bananas, but you could sub applesauce or something else.

A friend said he loved bean sandwiches. It sounds gross, but obviously it is popular. I think he put catsup and mustard on it.

I make hummus from great northern beans I cook instead of garbanzo beans in can. Two cups is the two cans of beans most recipes call for. I hate garbanzo beans/chickpeas.

If you make refried beans from your cooked pintos, you can leave off the salt and gross fat. Cook them until mushy, mashed with potato masher after draining. You can mash them in a skillet with olive oil, garlic. I spread this on sandwich rounds, put bits of tomatoes, whatever I had, folded it over and my friend could eat it between classes. He thought I put potted meat in his sandwich. Things I put on the refried beans--carrot straws, halved grape tomatoes, bits of celery, little scraps of chicken or beef, any bit that may not be used in anything else, or that some of what you have plenty of.

Hawaii Planner said...

I recommend this quinoa salad. Great to serve hot or cold. My oldest son takes it in his lunch all of the time. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229156/zesty-quinoa-salad/ - you can leave out the cilantro if you're not a fan, but the lime or lemon juice is essential.

Bobbie said...

2 cans of black beans, rinsed; chopped peppers (various colors); chopped red onion or scallions; chopped jalapenos (the kind that are pickled in a jar); corn kernels (I cook a cob and scrape them off but you can use frozen); celery seed or salt; salt and pepper; dash of tabasco if you want it spicier. Clove of garlic, minced or crushed; about 1/4 cup of olive oil. Mix it all together and let it sit for a few hours if you can.

My kids eat it as a salsa with chips; my vegetarian son puts it on top of salad or eats it on a tortilla.

Unknown said...

We enjoy roasted chickpeas as a snack...toss chickpeas with a sploosh of olive oil and seasoning/herb (we enjoy garlic and sea salt) and roast at 425 until crispy

Saryn

Busy Bee said...

I second the black bean brownies. :-)

Bean salads are convenient and versatile. You can also add a can of beans to a pasta salad for a hearty meal.

Mashed beans go well in lasagna.

Instead of meat tacos, bean tacos are a pleasant change.

Bean and corn salad is a favorite here.

Pinto bean bread is delicious and a great way to increase protein count in sandwiches.

CTMOM said...

Your post about protein got me thinking...I consider canned beans a convenience food so I cook up lots of beans. I never met a bean I did not like. I particularly like adding them to salads, along with quinoa. I'm sure you do this, too.

Another way I get in protein is to make HASH...whatever meat we did not eat + every cooked veg we did not slick up + onions. I heat that through in an oven worthy skillet and when it is heated through I put eggs on top along with a bit of water. We can season our own eggs to taste. I cover the skillet and let the eggs cook. It's quick, it's cheap and it is YUMMY.

I am fond of adding grated cheese to any salad. Well, not cottage cheese. Grin.

I'm sure you have more clever and varied ways but these popped up in my head when I read your post.

I love your blog!

xo
ck



Connie Kay Baum
aka Mother Connie