Saturday, September 24, 2016

Talking eggs

Seems not too  long ago that all the talk was of the soaring price of eggs, normally a very affordable kitchen staple. Long gone are the days when I bought a dozen of large eggs at Xpect Discounts for a whopping 68 cents/dozen. I really do continue to miss that store. Luckily, I have other resources and alternative shopping strategies. Case in point: Dollar Tree.

I turned to a local Dollar Tree that installed a few cooler, wall units, with one reserved for use as a refrigerator while the bulk carries frozen foods. This store does not, however, carry fresh produce, as I've read others reporting. While much of what they carry aren't items I'd consider (country of origin, smaller quantity factored in makes the item more costly than acquiring it at a traditional grocery store), there are a few staples that I do get at DT. Once Xpect was gone and as egg prices rose, I turned to DT as a source for eggs, mostly used in cooking recipes, as I try to use organic free range eggs for actual egg breakfasts. I pay $4/dozen for the organics.

DT initially, once I started buying what I'll call my cooking eggs there, had a full dozen of medium eggs. As prices changed, and shortages started, the dozen turned into an 8 count pkg-weird looking, too. Eventually, it became 1/2 of a dozen and often the prices at the Aldi's next door for the large eggs were a better deal.

These past few months, I have seen the ever increasing egg cartons at DT. 6 count became 8, which then became a full dozen. As always, I compare the price per doz. vs the price of large at Aldi's or other retailers. The guideline I was taught is that if the price difference between 2 different sized eggs is 12 cents or less, go with the larger size.

I recently did a double take at Dollar Tree as the dozen eggs have now become an 18 count pkg! These equate 60 cents/doz. The equivalent in a dozen large would be 72 cents. While egg prices have dropped (currently $1.29/doz @ Aldi), the DT eggs are a super bargain! I use quite a few eggs in cooking. I also like to keep hard boiled on hand for a quick protein boost mid morning for myself (per MD's recommendation). I use hard boiled eggs, sliced, on a sandwich or chop them up for egg salad.

At these prices, and with my now being at home, there have been lots of eggs served in the morning.  I recently bought 2 doz organic eggs from a farmer, and still had 2 doz purchased at the grocer's eggs (a free doz after cpns of LOL eggs, and a 99 doz of Egglands best) as well as the doz hardboiled that are sitting in the meat drawer of the fridge. Still, I grabbed 2 of these 18 count pkgs. I'd be foolish not too.

Have you seen a drop in egg prices? Are these 18 ct eggs being sold at anyone else's Dollar Tree?

10 comments:

meme said...

That is a great price! The eggs at my local supermarket are 1.89 a dozen - for brown large eggs. My Dollar Tree has no fridge section.

Carol Farley said...

Our Dollar Tree does have a large freezer and refrigerator section but I never thought to look for eggs there. Thanks for the heads up.

Kelly Campbell said...



I was able to get an 18-count of large eggs for $.99 at Kroger 2 weeks ago. I see that one local independent grocery store has medium sized eggs at 2/$1.00 thru next Sunday. And yet another independent grocery store has a dozen large eggs for $.88 thru Monday and the next week they will be offering a dozen XL eggs for $.78


Not bad!

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I also got an 18 pack of large eggs a couple weeks ago for 99 cents. I have been catching sales lately and haven't spent more than 99 a dozen for over a month. One week ex large were 99 cents a dozen.

Since you mentioned country of origin, may I ask if you are bothered by the Smithfield purchase by the Chinese? My understanding is that the pork products can be grown and slaughtered here, shipped to China for processing and returned here and STILL BE LABELED as born, grown, and produced in the USA. I am not at all happy with this as Chinese processing is not up to US standards, and I frankly can't find much--if any--pork that is NOT Smithfield or that is labeled such that I would want to buy it. Have you solved this problem in your area as yet?

Ms. Sandie said...

Wow! I will have to check out DT near us. I have gotten 18 count for .99 on occasion with a coupon and a minimum purchase.

CTMOM said...

Marcia-that IS disturbing, first I've heard of it. Normally, of late, I have been buying bacon at the butcher's. It's slab bacon that they carve for me. That said, I will need to inquire as to brand. Alternatively, I've found a no nitrate, low salt brand over at Whole Foods that we like. I don't recall the brand off hand. SIgh . . I hate the loopholes that American companies take advantage of. Not fair to the consumer, who wants to make an informed selection.

TrayceeBee said...

A few weeks back, I bought two dozen eggs from the Aldi's on the Meriden/Wallingford line and paid 69 cents each! I was shocked to see egg prices THAT low!

CTMOM said...

TraceeBee-yes, we had that deal down here as well. I think I picked up an extra dozen, can't recall. I've been blessed to find lots of cheap, and somethimes free or close to it, deals on eggs lately.

Ellie said...

I purchased a dozen eggs at the Germantown Rd., TN location this past Friday for 69cents. That s the cheapest price I have found in a long time. On the other hand, a gallon of milk was about 40 cents more than it was last month.

Belinda said...

Excellent price!