Monday, September 12, 2016

Sunday supper

Sunday supper this week was a marinated, London broil that we grilled out. Sides included: boiled, Red Bliss potatoes with butter and no salt, garlic-herb seasoning

 Steamed cauliflower with no salt, all purpose seasoning
 Cabbage, multi colored peppers and onions fried in reserved bacon fat, seasoned with black pepper, parsley. Other than a bit of steak, there were no leftovers, including the dessert I made below.   DS#1 and GF joined us.
 Here are the bulk of ingredients used to try a new recipe: Caramel apple coffee cake  The inspiration was the dregs of a container of sour cream that needed to be used up (not pictured) and the lurking jar of caramel dessert sauce.
The finished cake. I liked that I was able to bake it off in my counter top, convection oven. Nice and moist, will definately make this again. One adaptation I made was to add some Penzey's baking spice to the streusel topping; I found it strange that the recipe didn't call for any spices there. I also substituted solid shortening (trying to use it up) in place of butter for the actual cake batter. Butter was used for the streusel topping.

3 comments:

Busy Bee said...

Does the counter top oven save a lot on electricity? I'm trying to decide if I would be justified in buying one.

CTMOM said...

Busy Bee, I've only ever had an electric oven, until I moved here. With electric ovens, yes, I save a ton by doing as much as possible in the mini convection oven; CT has very high electric rates. Bonus is that it also doesn't heat up the house like a range oven would. Seems silly to cook an 8 inch square cake in a huge oven. : )

Lee Ann said...

If you need Vanilla go to Penzeys before the price goes up on the 22nd!