Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday's soup pot

 Cooler weather is finally here, so Saturday's soup pot is on the stove. Today's version is lentil. Pictured is a jar of brown lentils plus a bag with a touch more that wouldn't fit with the rest, a repurposed jar with ancient beef bouillon cubes that need to be used up, a leftover hot dog which was the inspiration.
 I also grabbed a baggie with 3 outer purple cabbage leaves that I had pulled off of a new head of cabbage before prepping some slivered cabbage to bulk up our salads this week. Too tough and fiberous to eat raw, I set them aside for a soup. Now's the time to use them..


 I melted some reserved bacon fat in a larger Dutch oven and added the 1/3 of an open onion later diced, 3 organic carrots that I diced, and 2 branches of celery, sliced. The aforementioned cabbage also joined the sauteeing party.

The bouillon papers were stuck on but good, so I heated up 4 cups of water, peeled back what I could and plunked the cubes, paper and all, into the water. After a few minutes, the water was turned brown so I gave the contents a good stir and then added the reconstituted beef bouillon to the awaiting  soup pot by first pouriing it through a fine mesh seive in order to keep the paper backed foil from the cubes out of the soup. This worked. I added 2 moree quarts of water to the pot. I forsee several more beef bouillon based soups in the near future to use these up.

The lentils were rinsed, a large Bay leaf was added and I let this simmer away about 30 minuted before adding the "hot dog pennies," consisting of the leftover hotdog and 2 additional ones that I pulled out of a package from the freezer. One kidlet can easily eat 2 hotdogs at a meal, so using 3 for an entire soup pot is a great way of stretching this meat. I am picky about hotdogs, these are all beef.
Finally, I added a pint of my home canned tomatoes as after tasting the soup, it was missing something. Seasoning now seems corrected. I will serve this with crackers. I can also tell that this soup will be on the lunch menu for a few days.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Because chicken bouillon cubes stick to the paper and I rarely ever used a whole one, I finally switched to the little flakes. It is still in the 90s here with a heat index of 100, so it is not soup weather yet. It will be and I look forward to a pot of soup.

The 3-year challenge said...

Yum yum ! Cooler weather is here in Paris too though still not enough for soup. I always love the dish and often make it in the winter. It is a lot of prep but keeps for ages and it is so rewarding ! x

Ms. Sandie said...

That looks delicious!

CTMOM said...

Linda and 3 year: temps dipped down to 42 F last night. It's nice and chilly in CT.

Belinda said...

Wow, already 42 there at night, that is chilly!

I love the tip you did with the stuck on paper with the bouillon cube. Such a great idea.

CTMOM said...

Belinda-the bouillon cube trick was a necessity is the mother of invention moment. It'll be even cooler tonight: 39 degrees is the forecast

Busy Bee said...

I love lentil soup. I'm a bit envious of your cooler weather.