Tuesday, September 20, 2016

A trip to the apple orchard

Once a year, I treat us to cider donuts. Expensive, and it appears that these are no longer made on the premises. These were good, not excellent, as I recall in year's past. While there, I also grabbed a 5 lb bag of what they are calling "utility apples" or seconds as I refer to them. I wanted Cortlands and got them for $5.95/5 lb bag. Not bad @ $1.20/lb. I usually aim to pay $1/lb or less for fruit. This was a bad year in CT for apples, due to the Spring freeze and this orchard only has apple picking on the weekends, with many of the apples trucked from other orchards to meet demand, in via crate, left in the fields to select from.

We simply went to the orchard stand and got what I wanted at a good price. If I recall correctly, there are 2 sizes of bags that are purchased from them prior to picking. I think* I paid $40/larger bag. My seconds will work just fine at a much better price. With my arthritis, I have no strong desire to actually go apple picking, I just wanted the apples.

7 comments:

Busy Bee said...

When I was growing up we always canned the apples that fell from the tree first and made apple butter, sauce and jelly. My grandfather was the kind of waste not, want not.

meme said...

We get Cider donuts once a year too - when my daughter takes our grandchildren to pick out a pumpkin for our front porch - she always gets a dozen of those donuts. They are so good - and pricey! A good, once a year Autumn treat.

TrayceeBee said...

We used to love going to that particular orchard when we used to live in Trumbull. I too enjoyed their donuts (a LOT more than I should have! haha!). It's sad that they no longer make them on premises. Given that we now live in a town with four maybe five apple orchards, we no longer make the trek and just stay in town. I haven't heard of any problems with the orchards crops here but now I will keep an eye out for scarcity.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

There is one particular farm stand that I often go to which has the apples in totes (20 bushel crates) and you choose the size bag you want and can mix and match varieties. I like going there when the apples are mostly picked to choose my favorites. The apples available right now are still early varieties--the bagged ones were BOGO this week so I got a bag of Gala for my husband to eat out of hand, and a bag of McIntosh which I will use for cooking, whether pie, apple crisp, or applesauce gets my vote. Only 3# bags from the supermarket this time but I'll go to the other place soon, when more varieties are being picked. I prefer Cortlands for most cooking purposes too, but none were available yet. The prices there are usually competitive.

Linda said...

I can still pick fruit, but then fibromyalgia keeps me from being able to put them up! I have one crockpot going with meat and vegetables. I am going to start apples in the other.

Ellie said...

While visiting my mom in Fishkill, NY my sister and I visited a local apple farm hoping to get her favorite McCoon apples. The trees died due to last years frost. We had to get Jonmac apples instead. They are a little tart too, so mom didn't notice the difference.
Glad you were able to enjoy a Fall treat. If you live near a Stu Leonard store, they always have the the Cider Doughnuts available to tempt you. LOL

Have a wonderful weekend,
Ellie

CTMOM said...

Ellie-yes, a bad apple year around here. I also want to get some Macoun's and Winesaps and put up apple sauce. Just 1 or 2 quarts are left from last year. I did get some applesauce (Dollar Tree of all places! 24 oz jar from Poland, canned with sugar not NFCS so I grabbed some for the pantry)but wish to put up my own.