Saturday, August 13, 2016

Moving on

Image: http://bookboon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Application-Germany-picture.jpg

Having completed my resume and cover letter, I have officially put in applications for 5 open positions at the local hospital, which I could commute to using the bus, if needed, during bad weather, otherwise, it's a 5 minute drive. This is for various customer service positions, a career change for me that should not include hours of work taken at home, off of the clock, which I've done for years. I've focused on my people and language skills, as well as various positions prior to my former career, where I was in customer service. This is option one for me. It this pans out, I figure that I can test working in the medical field, gain some training and advancement, perhaps advance within the hospital if not move to a position at a physicians office. I am keeping all of my options open, not putting all of my eggs in one basket.

If for some reason, they are not interested, I move on to other options, seeking a position locally that will get me out of the home, creating additional income, one that will offer insurance in a year when my current insurance will no longer be an option. I have kept an eye out for help wanted postings as well.

Fingers crossed!

7 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

You should have no trouble getting hired in such a position. I have done similar things in my past with little training--one semester of typing, experience with receptionist and switchboard type duties, and I know you are good with math! Billing is a possibility too--it's quite easy as long as you can remember to bill the primary insurance first and then the secondary, which I might add, few people seem capable of doing these days!! Just understanding how medical insurance works is a point in your favor as well. Few people understand their own coverage, let alone policies in general. I spent about 7 years in the field, and my daughter has done it for a number of years also. We're good at getting OUR bills straightened out, as I know you are! I quite enjoyed the work myself, although the pay was a weak point when I was doing it--I think it's improved since.
Good luck---I can definitely see you both good at this and enjoying it!

young77 said...

Good luck,Carol! I should think a job with less stress would be beneficial to your health, too. Shirley

thyme2save said...

Have you changed to white font on black? For me, very difficult to read and not appealing as you former blog design and font. You are a terrific blogger.

Belinda said...

Best of luck to you, Carol. I don't think you'll have any trouble transitioning to a new career and wherever you land, they will be getting an excellent employee.

CTMOM said...

Thyme, I've been experimenting with my blog format. I changed it again, hope it's easier to read.

CTMOM said...

Thanks all, I've downsized my living expenses, have explored other income streams/resources (still awaiting final word). Next step: a new career/job path to continue to earn income, and receive benefits (luckily, we will continue with my medical ins for another year), get me out of the home and more integrated into my new community. I am at an exciting place in my life, yet remain flexible, and hopefully, we positioned.

Lee Ann said...

I worked in a hospital for about 4-5 years. I liked it. Very fast paced. You never know what is going to happen. The one drawback was if I was there during inclement weather I would have to work a 12 hour shift. This did not happen often but it was annoying when coworkers would call out and I would have to cover for them after putting in my 8 hours.