Wednesday, August 10, 2016

I bought turkeys, and yes, it's August and we're bracing for another heat wave

Image: http://cdn.foodfacts.com/images/products/205007.jpg

Yesterday found me running an errand (to pick up free to me, RX for Psoriasis, thanks to hitting (unbelievably) the second deductible, maxing out our OOP expenses to $6000 this plan year), that brought me near the new Shoprite. I had already generated a list of deals, including multiple "new store opening" loss leaders. Here's what I bought:

3 bags assorted potato chips (treat)-loss leader
family package  of ground beef @ $1.79/lb-loss leader
2 frozen hotel style turkey breast @ 99/lb-my go to price that I had trouble getting this past year
a large tub salad greens
honeydew-loss leader
butter-loss leader
6 ct pkg croissants-loss leader
1 lb deli turkey-loss leader
1 lb deli ham-loss leader
beef hot dogs-loss leader
Tropicana OJ-loss leader
2 gallons milk
1 block neufchatel cheese
2 blocks Adam's reserve (on sale BOBO)Cheddar-my preferred brand-loss leader
2 bottles Herbal Essance shampoo (ended up being 50 cents/bottle after large coupon!)loss leader

They once again had steaks on sale @ $4.99/lb Porterhouse/T bone but I passed (not a huge steak fan) as I wanted to earmark my grocery monies for the turkey breasts that I can stretch much further.

I spent $67.10, including about $18 worth of fzn turkey.  I have $66.22 remaining in budget this month. This is very do-able. Fridge, stand freezer, kitchen cabinets, and pantry are looking good, too.

My philosophy: buy it when it's on sale, then plan menus around what is on hand!

5 comments:

meme said...

That is a great price on the turkey...

Tonight's dinner is a fridge clean out night.....

I am actually having a fruit plate (plum, nectarine, orange), a little grilled chicken and the rest of the grape tomatoes....

Busy Bee said...

Great price on the turkey. I love how versatile it is.

CTMOM said...

Meme, I only bought 2, due to space in the freezer, but could have bought up to 4. I may* go back for one more. We love turkey, I cook one a month come Fall, freezing 1/2 of the meat for future sandwiches, chopped scraps for soup/tacos/casseroles. Then there's the stock-we're big soup eaters come Fall as well. I was thrilled to see this price, I had trouble getting them for $1.49/lb last year.

Rachel said...

That is funny, because DH was asking me last week why I had bought a turkey. Walmart had whole turkeys for $0.59 a lb. so I bought 1 for our freezer. I told him because the price was right. LOL

Linda said...

I saw the sale turkeys at WM and had no room in my freezer. Plus, I did not feel like canning the turkey which is what I was going to do soon. You found some great deals.