Monday, August 8, 2016

Going exotic: chicken tikka masala

Intentional pantry clear out continues; in lieu of the usual fish on Monday theme, tonight will bring an Indian inspired meal, getting a lingering jar of Aldi's Tikka Masala sauce out of the pantry (bought for DD who loves Indian cuisine) and a pkg of Trader Joe's Naan out of the freezer (DD bought, it's lingering). While grabbing some replacement staples off the shelves for the kitchen (coffee, mayo), I also took a 5 count pkg of chicken thighs out of the freezer. I plan on braising all 5, removing one and holding it aside for my dinner, before adding the sauce, which contains 600 mg sodium (the Naan has 320). My supper will be chicken and rice, side veg to be determined, sticking to my reduced sodium diet restrictions. Meanwhile, DD and one DS will have Indian tonight.

Our bananas have quickly freckled, so I plan on baking something with them today, thinking muffins.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Have you said why you are restricting sodium intake? When I was 35, I decided on my own to restrict sodium intake. That decision has served me well. Of course, if I want French fries, I have them. I very seldom want them. Well, they cost too much and are too much fat.

I just took 8 chicken boneless, skinless breasts out of the crockpot. Half will be my meals next week. Then, I put new potatoes in the broth and cooked those. This is not an intentional cleanout, just cooking what I have.

Those bananas look good, but muffins sound delicious!

CTMOM said...

Linda, luckily I have never heavily salted my foods. I am on a medically restricted, low sodium diet due to a kidney issue, which is 95% resolved, thanks to 2 daily RX's. My blood and urine are being constantly tested, so I know that I remain on the right path as far as this issue is concerned.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I was diagnosed with hypertension at age 27 and am now 73. Low sodium and low fat have kept me fairly healthy to this point. I do have some heart disease and peripheral artery disease, but I'm walking under my own power and still able to do most things around the house without help. Of course medication is another issue, which I have followed very carefully throughout this time. I'm glad you are serious about the diet. You will very soon find that food is just as good without salt in 99% of the cases. (Occasionally I think gravy needs salt, but not much else!)