Monday, August 15, 2016

Getting my money's worth and then some

DS #1 texted  me Sunday afternoon, and invited himself and the GF to Sunday supper. No worries, I knew early on, and could plan accordingly. Shoprite had a coupon deal on these:

Image: http://groceries.lohudblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Rotissierie_chicken2.jpg


and I had wanted to try them. Limit of 2 (amount I expected to need) @ $3.99. With a heat index of 115 F, the decision was made. 

We had the following for Sunday supper: warm, rotisserie chicken; large tossed salad with choice of dressing, corn on the cob, a mixed salad of cubed honeydew and cantaloupe, store bakery lemon crunch pie, plenty of cold drinks on hand.

I deboned the carcasses after dinner, and filled my Crock pot with the bones, reserved pan drippings from the containers, additional water.

 Come morning, I strained out the cooked broth, gleaning 4 cups plus worth (residual broth that drained down into the bowl under the strainer was placed in a small, Mason jar. Free bone broth and free poultry fat for future meals.
 The chicken was cubed up, along with the scraps of meat that I pulled off of the cooked down carcasses this morning, then turned into a chicken salad with celery, scallions, tarragon, black pepper, Hellmann's mayo.


Lunch is a chicken salad filled croissant, potato chips, lemonade. Nice!










3 comments:

Linda said...

I love those rotisserie chickens. At WM at the end of the day, they are $2.48, so bring on the company!

Busy Bee said...

I love meals that stretch. That is a good price for a rotisserie chicken.

CTMOM said...

Busy-I was willing to pay the usual price, as I wanted to sample them. Even better was this loss leader, coupon offering as this is a brand new store. I am not wasting a bit of them.