Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A cobbled together supper, avoiding food waste

 Dinner plans got moved around this week, including "dinner with Dad" night, due to DS's new school and work schedule. I needed dinner for 2, and had several leftovers calling me. Pictured is the inspiration for last night's supper: the lb container of cooked quinoa. I also had about 2/3 of a good sized roast chicken breast, scallions, one egg, a bit of Cheddar cheese.
 Another inspiration was the piling up bits of drying, bread ends and stale cracker crumbs. Now whirled together in the food processor, I yielded 2 large jars worth.
 With the addition of some spices, here are the chicken-quinoa patties, fried off with some reserved bacon fat. They are very good; finding that we enjoy the crispy crunch that quinoa offers in these cakes.
 For sides to select from: egg noodles, baked potatoe, corn, roasted Butternut
My supper plate.

5 comments:

Ms. Sandie said...

I am going to try this. Thank you for the idea! Have you had any job interviews yet? My husband was offered a temporary job with a big company to cover for someone on medical leave. Fingers crossed that something full-time comes out of it.

CTMOM said...

Hi Sandie, I hope you like these, we are fond of them. Keeping fingers crossed for your DH. No word yet on the job front. I am in the very fortunate position of being on severance at full pay for 6 months. I have downsized my monthly budget, we should be able to make it off of my anticipated retirement funds, excluding medical insurance, which I will continue to have until 9/1/17, at the employee rate. I will prepay all of those premiums within the next 6 months. Ins. is a concern for next Fall. Meanwhile, I have decided to get a certificate thru a local community college, to help me segway into the medical assistant field. I have some coursework to work around (anticipated when the job change came to light)but should complete everything by the beginning of Jan. Meanwhile, I can hopefully get the library clerk job I applied for, Part time, near the community college, on bus line, etc. A little extra $ is always welcomed. I plan on living off of 1/2 of my severence and banking that, along with any monies I earn these next 6 months, get my certificate, hopefully get a Full time job in my new field for jan, with benefits. That's the plan for now.

Busy Bee said...

I'm the only one in my family that really likes quinoa and I always end up with too much cooked. Thanks for the idea of adding it to other things.

CTMOM said...

Busy-when fried into patties like these, the texture is nice and crispy; my DD calls them "tater tot like." Yummy, and I like the extra protein.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Ive never thought of using leftover quinoa like that but I will now. Thanks for sharing!