Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I thought I could skip a Summer

for surgery that is. I returned last week to my hand surgeon, as my left wrist was causing me some trouble with movement, I don't trust it if I am carrying something heavy, and I had been in significant pain for over a week before I called and made the appointment-never a good sign for me, as I have a high pain tolerance. If something hurts me, it's a problem.
Image: http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/530202/722d638a9ad9617769d7861ba922ee.jpg

Xrays taken, nothing there. So more info needed.

Image: http://mnc.umd.edu/sites/default/files/images/facilities/mri-2.png
Had an MRI last night, returning to my orthopedist this afternoon.

Turns out, I have a huge (benign)cyst at the top of my wrist, called a ganglion. I had one when I was 14, on the other wrist, and it protruded quite a bit. This one is buried deep inside the wrist joint, causing tendon, and nerve issues. The MD says is's huge, he was surprised when he saw the MRI. I told him that I am not crazy then, something is wrong. I also continue, although not related, with ulnar nerve damage on the left hand. Sigh. Options discussed, we agreed that surgery, given the location and symptoms, is necessary. Luckily, I am currently off work, still have insurance and we've met the deductible.

I will call his secretary in the morning for scheduling; they were really busy when it was time for me to go, she asked me to connect with her tomorrow. I've been through this too many times; I know what to do.

9 comments:

mikemax said...

Are you a Doc Martin fan? Remember when the guy showed up with a ganglion cyst on his wrist and thought it was cancer? Doc picked up a big book and whacked it with the book. I don't imagine your doc suggested this...but I couldn't resist. Best of luck with getting this fixed. Doesn't sound like much fun.

CTMOM said...

Max, these were called "Bible knots" as people would self care at home by grabbing the largest/heaviest book aka the Bible and whack it, to break the capsule. Mine is complicated, large, surrounding nerves so painful, my hand has lost flection. (sp) Should be a minor surgery, although under general anesthesia/nerve block.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

My sister had one years ago which did respond to the whack with a book treatment. They can be a real nuisance---might as well have it off the right way, especially if insurance will cover it. You do have lousy luck with orthopedic issues, though. It should not be a major recovery period, at least.

Linda said...

Orthopedic issues and allergies are my only problems! You are lucky surgery can solve your hand problems. Surgery won't solve my hand problems. I was going to hand a large stapler to one of my professors and my hand did not hold it. The stapler landed on the arch of her foot! You can imagine how that hurt her!

thyme2save said...

Hope it's done soon and successful. Years ago, a physician drained a ganglion cyst from my left wrist. I fainted during the procedure and still have times of numbness in left hand. Procedure has greatly improved.

Lili said...

Well, I'm glad for you that you're currently off work and have the insurance and met deductible. So, although the surgery and recovery won't be pleasant, at least the finances/logistics isn't a worry. Sorry you have to go through another surgery.

meme said...

I am sorry you have to go thru another surgery. It does sound like this is causing a lot of pain. I am glad though you have your daughter living with you - I am sure she will be a great help during this time.

LovesbeingMommy said...

I also had one as a teen that hurt and interfered with movement of my right wrist. If I recall correctly, I had a cortisone shot to dissolve it. Sorry you will need another surgery, but glad to know the move is over and your medical finances are in as good shape as they can possibly be. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Kathy said...

I'm sorry that your hand has been bothering you. Do hope that this will be the last surgery that you will have to have for a while...you have been through enough. Hope you feel better soon.